CHAPTER FIVE

"Are you ready?"

Evangeline only managed a nod at the blue eyed man standing at her door.

"Okay then, shall we?"

It's now or never.

She gathered the lower half of her black abaya and followed.

Noah cleared his throat. "How did you sleep?"

"Good."

"Excellent. Everything you'll need has already been set up. I'll give you a moment to prepare yourself while I summon his highness."

His highness?

Evangeline wrinkled her nose in disgust. The murderer was being worshipped, even by a seemingly sensible man like Noah.

The whole time, she had her eyes on her feet, and when she finally looked up, she saw the three horses standing over the paved road. Her two 'bodyguards' were already mounted on each of their own.

"I can't ride," she suddenly blurted out. Anything to stall the nearing confrontation she'd been dreading.

"No problem, you're riding with me." A bright grin from him and she couldn't help her smile despite her fear.

"But we only just met, Mr. Green, it's too soon."

Surprised but pleased by Evangeline's nerve, Noah laughed. How could a man resist a woman who was able to fight her fear?

He knew she was scared, deathly so, but he was sure he'd never met a woman more brave.

"Why, Ms. Pierce, I had no idea you weren't ready to take it further. Should I suggest couples' therapy?"

"I'm afraid so."

The troops exchanged glances, confused and amused by what was going on.

In his casual clothes, Noah easily hurled himself onto the horse, and with surprising strength pulled Evangeline by hand onto the saddle.

As the horses started a trot, she reluctantly wrapped her arms around his waist, the ground seeming too far down.

"No blindfold today?" Evangeline asked.

"Not today."

Whatever the reason for the absence of a blindfold, she was relieved. There was nothing more nerve racking than not being able to see around her.

At the moment, there wasn't much to see, what with the same exact design of seemingly unoccupied cottages all the way down the road, and plenty of trees.

Evangeline cleared her throat. "Does everyone here use horses?"

"Yes, only the royal army is entitled to the use of motor vehicles."

Royal army?

In a voice filled with disbelief, Evangeline said, "Dasadin is a kingdom?"

Noah didn't say anything as the most blinding sight appeared before them.

A massive building enforced it's golden presence to every available eye.

It would have been beautiful to Evangeline if the structure didn't demand so much attention with its reflective walls. At least the stunning garden in front of it softened the view.

Several men in black-similar to the men who had shoved everyone away from the cottage-stood intimidatingly at various positions surrounding the building.