CHAPTER-7

Rose P. O. V.

"We found a dead body in your house, Miss." Officer replied and asked, " Are you Rose?"

I nodded and he continued, "I am sorry, the body is of your dad. He was shot and we admitted your mom in the hospital."

My brain stutters for a moment and my eyes take in more light than I expected, every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts catch up.

*Few months later"

Death wasn't kind. I knew that. It snatched where it could, taking people who were far too young, far too good. It didn't pretend to care, it didn't pretend to distinguish.
The hooded vale of death had hung over the world for a long time, always threatening. Death of my dad had ripped away a part of me, the part of me that was most loved.
Now I would sit staring for hours. My face sunken and haunted, my mind cold and empty. The more the months went on, it felt like years.

I was interrupted by my aunt's voice, "Rose! Rose! Come downstairs, Now!"

After the death of my dad, I was living with my aunt and uncle. My mom was still in the hospital. She was in a coma.

I reached the kitchen and asked," Yes, aunt."

"You still haven't washed dishes! Why?!" she asked me with anger.

"I was just about to," I said.

She took a deep breath and said, "Do it right now!"

"Aunt, can I continue my school?" I asked her.

"No. We don't have money for you," With that said she left the kitchen.

I started washing the dishes but stopped dead in my track, after hearing my uncles voice.

"Well Rose, look at you. You have grown so much," He said while coming near me. I can tell that he was drunk because of his breath.

"Don't come near me," I said.

In my nights he was a monster and in my days he was the same. There were times I can't tell the nightmare of my reality from the fiction of my nightmares. Mom always said there was love out there for everyone but not for me. He tried to force himself on me and his wife, my aunt, didn't care.

"Come here." He said smiling.

"No... "

After listening to my rejection he became angry and started taking steps towards me.

I took a plate from the sink and hit him at his head. After seeing his bleeding head, I ran away from there.

"I couldn't bear it anymore."

I ran through a maze of buildings and winding side streets as the sky rumbled, and heavy rain bounced off the cobblestones. A storm smothered the sun, greying the world around me. Drops of rain beat against my skin like hammers. My slippers were caked in mud and the storm had battered my brown hair into a tangled mess.

I finally reached the hospital and entered the room where my mom was. I lay there quietly, keeping my eyes closed, matching my breaths to the beeping of the machines that surrounded the bed, the only indications of my heartbeat, my existence. My legs were numb. Curiosity slowly pried open my swollen eyes to meet a dismal view of a magnolia coloured hospital room. There she is lying unconscious, my mom.

There was a knock on the door. I opened it to see the same man which I saw when my dad was alive.

"Yes... " I said.

He was just staring at me. Again!

"Umm... Sorry...I am sorry for your loss, Rose." He stated, giving me the flowers which I noticed now.

I took the flower and stayed silent.

"Can I come in?" He asked me and I nodded. He smiled and sat near my mom.

I also took a stool and sat near him.

"You are all wet, Rose." He stated with a smile and continued, "You shouldn't have run away in such heavy rain."

"How do you know that I ran away?" I asked him with a surprise.

"I know everything about you." He stated.

"What?"

"The first time I saw you, you were mine from then,"