5 - Unexpected guest

No way, he couldn't be it.

Seriously, there were 7 billion people on this world and HE was here. At the same day, same time, same freaking place. 

Still, with my mouth full of my sandwich I started to talk "Wha are jo doin her?" I quickly swallow my food so I would talk normally again.

"Going to New York for a conference. You?"

"Sydney, potential new business location" 

Yeah, this sounded cool.

" I haven't seen you since.." I nodded along with this confusion and calculation. And before he continued I jumped in "since high school, when we graduated"

"Well technically, those last 2 years of high school we didn't talk... so what is it? Ten years?"

Wow, he was right, 10 years since I last talked to him. But thought of him... Maybe 1 week ago? I looked at him. He dried up nicely, Christ. His tanned skin, black hair and brown eyes were still the same as I remembered. Wearing a white blouse, black pants and black shoes together with a case made him look like a model, almost. 

"Yeah, so what are you doing now Sam?" 

Sam. My first and only lover.

"I am a psychologist now, headed to a conference in NY about the brain, so interesting." He said in a sarcastic way. I always liked his sarcasm. 

"Haha, I remember you wanting to do that." I was still in a bit shocked which made me talk more calmly and silent than normal. 

"You're going to Sydney for a new business office? Nice! Where do you work?"

"Here in San Fransisco"

Shit, wrong interpretation 

He laughed and continued "I kind of got that...for which company?" 

"GW corporate, ever heard of it?"

"Yeah.. kind of. Don't know who runs it there but in 3 years 2 big offices right? Read the article in Forbes last week." I nodded, still with him behind me and looking with a 90 degrees head to him. He slowly walked to the chair across me.  

"It is also run by two very young people, right? I heard people are talking about it, one of the first companies ever that got so successful with so young people? So who are the CEO's, are they nice or are they show-offs??"

That were too many questions which I couldn't follow, the only thing I knew that he didn't know I apparently was there the kind of boss. And he didn't see the mega picture of me and James next to the article? Awkward much. 

"The guys' name is James Guard and the girl is Lara Weston." I smiled while saying it because after 3 years it still sounds unbelievable. 

"No freaking way.." He was definitely in shock and he didn't see that one coming which made me laughed because his face was priceless. 

"You really made it Lara, wow."

This was getting kind of weird. He sounded surprised but at the same time kind of sad. The looked down to this shoe or something. I was looking at him wondering what he was thinking of.

Sam and I had a history. Not a very big one, but this thing what used to be a 'us' followed me throughout 10 years of life. That year, my emotionally unstable phase started but never ended. 

We were in the same high school, but we didn't know each other at all. Until we had a school trip to Canada and we were in a group together. We were both 14 years old when we started texting each other when we came back from that trip, which was in November. The following 3 months we texted like we knew each other for years. But the problem between us was that on school, in real life, we didn't say Hi to each other which made it very awkward. 

I don't know how it happened, but in March or something, we said I love You. And suddenly we were a couple. Still not saying Hi in the hallway. Awkward much. But we saw each other sometimes after school and then when we were together, we couldn't be separated. We talked, laughed and kiss a lot. We were like the big deal, talking about marriage, kids and loved each other till death. I could really see it with him. He was a pretty boy and acted more like an adult than the other boys in my year. 

During our summer break, we saw each other a lot and we both really loved each other, which is, of course, weird to say when 2 kids are 15 years old and saying they truly had feelings for each other. In the last week of the summer vacation, I had to deal with family problems. My grandma (from my mom's side) became very sick and turned out she had cancer. I cried almost every night because my mom and dad we also crying each night. I didn't tell Sam this, which caused some friction between our relationship. 

One night, he was annoying while we were texting and I was angry and sad which wasn't that good of a combination. I started to doubt about our relationship and he asked me where I was going with those ' where are we now' texts. I decided to break it off. Which I regretted till now, as I never broke it off because I didn't love him, but just emotions that popped up one evening. 

I did not see him a lot anymore on school and just couldn't find closure until I went to college, where I could focus on other things. Until now, I never loved someone like Sam. 

I knew he had a girlfriend after I went to college through a friend of mine but never contacted him again or looked him up on Facebook ever again.

After the silence of his almost sad sentence, I asked him if he had a girlfriend or something. 

He was nodding no. And of course, he asked about my fantastic and especially wild love life.

A simple nope came out of my mouth and I was really thinking of a question which I could ask because it became a little bit awkward now.

Luckily he stood up, "It was so good to see you again Lara, I am happy for you."  Huh, what. "For your success, of course, you're gonna kill Sydney." He winked and walked away. 

My cheeks were so burning, I could fry an egg on it. 

I really had to progress this conversation. I literally heard my brain squeaking and I drank some orange juice.