Chapter Sixteen

I decided to update early cause I'm bored, enjoy :)

Today was the day. It was three-fifteen and both Charlie and I were waiting at the airport. The bustling crowds put me on edge, my inner introvert cowering in discomfort. Charlie had a sign that she held up in front of her that simply read 'Ai' as we waited for our vampire guest. Only five minutes later an Asian woman glided towards us. She had on a large hat and over sized sunglasses and carried a small overnight bag. She was well dressed in slacks, a black button up blouse and black pumps.

I had expected to be able to immediately pick out the vampire from the crowd of humans but it wasn't until she was close that I realized it was indeed Ai.

"Lovely to meet you." Ai said with a strange accent while she held out her hand. Charlie shook it with a smile. "Now, where is the closest underground bar? I'm thirsty." Ai said firmly.

"Of course," Charlie said, tucking the sign away in her pocket, "let's get the car, I'll drive." Charlie said politely.

We left the airport and drove back towards the city. Charlie took a couple of turns and suddenly we were in a part of the city I wasn't very familiar with. Charlie parked Ben's car and we went into a small cafe.

As soon as we entered, multiple people greeted Charlie. I looked up at her before she explained.

"I work here." Charlie gestured to the small cafe. It was nice, with some trendy dim light bulbs hanging low above the tables from the high ceiling. The cafe was almost filled to capacity, which surprised me, since it was four o'clock, a time when most cafes were deserted with only one or two of the most devout coffee drinkers sitting at the tables. Charlie and Ai grabbed a table on the corner.

"How do you order?" Ai asked pointedly at Charlie, her gaze flicking around the room at the other patrons.

"Ask for a Bloody Mary." Charlie replied. At that moment a perky waitress came up to the table and greeted Charlie.

"Hey Charlie, ready to order?" The waitress asked.

Ai ordered her Bloody Mary, while Charlie ordered a coffee for herself and a mug of cream for me. I subtly peeked out from the bag at the cafe around us as we waited for our orders.

The cafe was filled with a whole array of people. Young and old, some extremely tall and some so short that their toes barely brushed the floor. The more I looked around, the more I saw. Pointed ears. Pale or otherwise discolored skin. Lots of jewelry that glimmered strangely in the light.

I bet my right hand that most of these people weren't human. Our orders arrived and we started drinking them. Charlie and Ai were engaging in some mundane small talk but it was nothing of importance.

Ai ended up having two more Bloody Mary's before we got up and left. Charlie drove us back to her unit.

Charlie picked up a small package by the front door before letting us inside. As soon as Ai entered the living room, she planted herself down on the sofa and started talking.

"Alright let's get down to business. I intend to try some Kangaroo before my flight leaves in three days." Ai said while brushing her long hair away from her face.

Charlie let me out of the bag before sitting opposite Ai and crossing her knees. "What can you tell us about the practice of making familiars?" Charlie asked, clasping her hands in front of her and straightening her shoulders professionally.

"I managed to smuggle a book that escaped the purge here with me." Ai said smugly while reaching into her over night bag. She pulled out a small leather bound note book before handing it to Charlie. "It seems like your wizard council didn't do as good of a job as they thought." Ai commented, raising a single eyebrow at Charlie.