Chapter 8: вαттℓє σf тнє иєωвσяиѕ

Battle of the Newborns

****Third POV****

The whole newborn army blitzes out of the woods and into the field. The frenzy shows in their eyes. Their rabid thirst as they follow the scent of Bella's blood m. But the scent trail ends here. They're confused. Suddenly something bolts from the trees with lightning speed and tackles a newborn. The other newborns spin to find a lethal-looking Jasper in a crouch beside his victims body.They rush to Jasper but-Bam! Bam! Bam! Three of them go down, tacked by Kirsten, Cayden, Amrita, Rosalie, Carlisle, Emmett and Alice. Out of nowhere lunges Sam in his wolf form, flanked by two wolves. They tear a newborn to pieces. Four other wolves dive into the fray. Emmett sprints full-bore into the fight, relishing the battle. The wolves work as a pack, coordinated, deadly. Jasper controls the field-strategy and speed vs strength. Rosalie fights with icy calm. Alice with precognition. Kirsten and Carlisle fight side-by-side. The newborns are brutal and strong as hell. The vampires and wolves trying to protect the sl*t (cough, cough, Bella, cough... Sorry had something in my throat) are taking some vicious hits. Jacob-wolf charges into the clearing, tackling a newborn, going for its neck.

~~~~~~~~~

Edward reads Seth-wolfs mind, translating for Bella. "Jacob just got there. He's good," Edward assures. They sit there quietly, waiting. Edward watched the whole fight in Seth-wolfs mind.

~~~~~~~~~

Paul is surrounded by three newborns; Emmett comes to his aid. They share a look, a battlefield rapprochement. Carlisle and Kirsten move in on Bree-But she backs up frightened. Kirsten and Carlisle share a look. They relax their attack stance, try to calm her, talk to her. Alice darts from newborn to newborn, not even looking at them, knowing their next move. She sweeps their feet, keeping them off balance, confusing them. Jasper is a step behind her, trying to give her cover.

~~~~~~~~~

Edward sees a newborn take note of Jasper's protective actions. Edward yells at Jasper, though he can't hear. "Jasper, back off, you can't be everywhere at-watch out!"

~~~~~~~~~

As a newborn appears behind Jasper and bites his shoulder. Alice spins, flinging the newborn to Rosalie, Emmett and Carlisle who kill him. Alice tends to Jasper. "I can handle myself."

~~~~~~~~~

"Is Jasper alright? Edward," Bella asks.

He only sees Seth's thoughts, talks to himself.

"Don't let them protect each other, good, go around," Edward says to himself. Suddenly Edward stop, blinks, briefly disoriented as his mind is cut-off from the battlefield. He looks around, finds Seth frozen as well. They share a tense look.

"Someone's hurt?" Bella asks again.

"Seth, go." Seth boots away from the campsite, fast.

"Is it Jasper?" Edward whips Bella behind him against a cliff wall and takes a defensive stance in front of her.

"She's close. I can hear her thoughts. She knew we weren't there, but she caught my scent."

~~~~~~~~~

Victoria searches the battlefield from the tree line. She abruptly turns away from the fight, and starts running, following Edward's scent. "She knew you'd be with me," Edward says.

"She found us," Bella connects. 'Oh no, if she did then my plan will fail. I have to get her alone.' Bella thought to herself.

Edward nods. "She's not alone."which is when Riley steps out of the woods. Bella immediately recognizes him, is taken aback. Riley edges closer, watching Edwards every move. As they both carefully position themselves. "Riley, listen to me. Victoria's just using you, to distract me. But she knows I'll kill you." Riley hesitates l. Surprised to be addressed. "In fact, she'll be glad she doesn't have to deal with you anymore."