Memories within a Memory

Left home early then come home late,

Left home neat then come home dirty,

Left home alone then come home with a friend,

That’s how a child plays during my days

Every time I saw children playing outside our house, I can’t help but smile because I remember the memories of my childhood days.

When playing outside is not an option. When one mistake is laughable and crying is a joke. When playing is not a right, because you are free to do so.

Then a question popped on my head, “Are children these days enjoying their childhood days the way I enjoy it on my days?”

HARD-HEADED! That’s what my mother always told me when I come home late.

She will scold me while washing my feet until she change my dirty clothes then suddenly she’ll ask me, “How’s your day baby, you make a lot of friends?”

Then I'll find myself telling her what happened on me during the day. If attendance only exist during those days, I have a complete one because I never miss the fun playing outside.

FUN!

Summer time. I remember the days when some of my cousins use to stay in our house for a vacation. We don’t need to go out of town to enjoy summer vacation because our surroundings is more like a vacation place for us.

Mangos start to bear fruits same with the star apple tree. I, together with my brother and cousins use to climb the Mango tree to get something to eat and when our plastic bag is full, we’ll stay on one big branch of the tree and divide our share or sometimes we go on a vacant lot near our house to play a ‘Step-No’ while eating the Mangos we get. 

I also remember the time when there is a rotating brownout, we we’re gathered near the candle light and play the shadows of our hands. Sometimes we we’re outside the house and tell stories about ghost until we’re scared to death or when the moon shine bright we play hide and seek on my Aunt’s place.

Lucky I am that I was able to experience such great adventure during my childhood days where my parent’s didn’t call my cell phone when I’m not yet home but they yell my name and playing is not an online activities.

The saddest thing of today’s generation is that they feel safer at home and don’t go outside for an adventure and when realization comes up, until such time that they will say, “I’d rather see the real world not the virtual one.”

Michael Josephson said, “Your childhood is not defined by what you did or what happened to you, it’s the memories you want to dwell on so don’t forget to enjoy.”

Realistically thinking, the only companion you have when you’re alone is the memories you have in the past. If you have a good one, eventually you’ll found yourself smiling when you reminisce it and you won’t feel lonely. Memories should not stay as a memory but there should always be a memories within a memory.