Chapter 9: Late Night Dinner

You stirred awake a few hours later. Jerome stood in front of you, telling the guards to leave. The lights were dimmed and there was a small candlelit dinner table set up with your favorite foods. A bed stood behind the table with two bedside tables on each side. Soft jazz music played on the record player that laid on top of one of the bedside tables. You realized that this must be Jerome's room. Jerome coughed, grabbing your attention.

"There's a shower right over there". He gestured toward the direction to the bathroom. "Why don't you wash up?"

"What is all this?" You asked.

"It's our reunion date". He walked toward you. He stroked a piece of hair behind your ear. "We have a lot of catching up to do. So go freshen up, I'll have clothes ready for you".

He left the room and you were hesitant to do what you were told. But knowing that you haven't eaten or showered since way earlier in the day, you figured why the hell not. The warm shower made you feel more relaxed. You had completely forgotten about your breakdown earlier in your cell as if it never happened. Once you were out, you found the clothes Jerome left for you. There were lacy black undergarments along with a red silk sleeveless dress that reached just above your knees. You had just finished changing when the door opened. Jerome looked at you, his breath taken away.

"You truly are beautiful, (y/n)". He walked over to you. You didn't say anything. He pulled out a chair for you to sit and you did. He sat down beside you and began to serve you some food. You looked at him serve you a glass of wine, making sure he wasn't going to lace it with some drug. "So tell me, doll, what have you been up to while I was gone?"

He glanced at you, an innocent smile on his face. You couldn't help but think back to the Jerome you told everything to. Well, except that but that was beside the point. You felt like the Jerome before you right now, the one that had this all set up just to chat with you, was your Jerome. But you knew he could snap if you said something he didn't like. You shrugged.

"I got two jobs - one at a pet shop, the other as a freelance back up dancer for my friend". You took a sip from your drink. Memories of Taylor and Xander flashed in your mind. You placed your drink back down on the table. "You know, the friends you killed".

Jerome frowned. You didn't even have to look at him. Before he could say anything else, you began to dig in on your dish and move on to another topic. "Mary and John are getting married". You continued.

"Oh?" Jerome raised a brow at the mention of your friends from the circus. He never really talked to anyone at the circus unless it was something important. Otherwise, he just remained with you or Mr. Cicero. "So they finally decided to tie the knot, huh"

"Yeah". You took another sip from your wine. "I'm supposed to send them something as a congratulations/wedding gift but I'm here instead".

This time you glanced over at Jerome to see his reaction. He was unfazed from what you said and began to eat his own portion of the food. You took it as a sign to continue. "Mary sent me a letter asking for name ideas. They plan on waiting a year or two before starting a family but they already want ideas so they won't fight over it ".

Silence from Jerome.

"John wants to name their future son Gor-". You stopped yourself and looked at Jerome. He stared at you.

"Gordon? As in the detective?" He asked. You could hear the slight change of tone in his voice. You slowly nodded.

"Yeah.. as thanks for everything he did". You turned back to your food. "Mary disagreed with him and asked me for help. I told her Richard for a boy - she told me once that she liked that name - and..."

You turned to look at Jerome. "Lilia for a girl".

He took a sip from his drink and put it down on the table. He glanced over at you. "Why are you telling me this? Why bring up Mary and John in the first place?"

"I want to see your reactions". Honesty. Jerome likes it when you tell the truth. He would be able to sense if you lied to him. That's why he didn't question you further when you told him Xander was a friend. Because that was the truth. You just didn't mention your feeling for the boy. "Plus, isn't it romantic? Those two were always off and on, and now they're getting married and already thinking about children. I just want to make sure you wouldn't go off and kill them or the whole circus. I would be so heartbroken if you ruined their happily ever after".

"If I were to choose which one of them to kill, it would be Grayson". Jerome let out a chuckle. "I still remembered when you teased me about how good looking he is".

"Well, he is". This time you let out a small laugh. "He's one of the best looking guys there. He practically stole the hearts of every girl - you came close to him though".

You let out a sigh. God, were you emotionally exhausted. You stirred your glass of wine. Staring at the red liquid. "I'm sure their future child will be quite the looker too".

"Still thinking about other people while I'm right here, huh". Jerome mumbled. You chuckled.

"You're the one who wanted to know what I was up to". You turned to him. He stared at your eyes. Sitting up straight, he moved his arm around your shoulder. He leaned close. You didn't move from him. In fact, you began to lean in too. Jerome placed his lips on yours and moved his free hand to rest on your thigh. He smiled into the kiss when he felt you reciprocate.

The small passionate kiss began to deepen. The two of you forgot about your food as your hearts began to beat faster with excitement. It's been so long since you yearned for another's touch. Since Jerome went to Arkham, you didn't even bother to go out and have one night stands as Taylor suggested. You remained at home with Shiba instead.

But now? Oh now, you had no idea what you were thinking. Jerome Velaska has killed your teacher/mother figure, your best friends and even kidnapped you. So why are you excited to have his body lean against your own? You weren't drunk. You know he didn't put anything in your drink. The food maybe? No. Jerome wouldn't do such a thing. He believes that you will accept him all on your own free will, so there's no need for such tricks. Then that just leaves your feelings.

You hate Jerome for killing Lilia. You hate him for killing Taylor and Xander. You hate him for lying and tricking you. You hate him for leaving you in that cell. You hate him for being an insane maniac. But at the same time, there was that small portion of you that still loves him. That loves the way he smiles and looks at you like you're his world. That loves the feeling of him being beside you. That believes that he would never hurt you.

You wanted to fight that part of you. You wanted to shove Jerome away and run. But you didn't. You let those emotions take control over you. Jerome knew that and used that to his advantage. He parted from you and lifted you up. He laid you down on the bed, moving to kiss your neck. He stood up and reached over to one of the drawers of the bedside table. He pulled out a blindfold and handcuffs. He smirked. "It's going to be one long night, love".