Chapter 2: Last day of school. Ever.

I arrive at Maddie's house at 5:30. I turn the engine offand sit there with my head leaning against the steering wheel, trying to make the tears subside, even though they keep falling.

There is a knock on my window. I look up at Maddie giving her a weak smile. And when I say weak, I mean so weak it's pathetic. She opens the car door, "Everything okay?"

I nod and get up slowly, not wanting to talk yet. She grabs my bag and we walk inside. She doesn't force anything out of me, which I'm thankful for.

"Jenna! You’re just in time for dinner!" Maddie’s mother calls from the kitchen.

I look over to Maddie who tells me to go ahead while she puts my bag in her room. I walk through the long hallway to the kitchen that I know by heart. My hand traces the incline of the stairs until I can’t reach up any further. I look at all of the pictures of Maddie with her younger twin brothers, Kyle and Luke. There’s one that I especially like, it’s one of me and Maddie from twelve years ago when we were 7. Yes, I made the family portrait wall because I have pretty much been a part of their family for years now. In the photo Maddie and I are in front of a lake. Her family took me with them on vacation to a lake up north. I examine the picture and notice the same features I always do, the strands of her light brown hair that mixed with my red hair and our twinkling brown and grey eyes.  We look like we are having the time of our lives. I remember smiling so much that my cheeks hurt every night when I went to bed.

“Hi, Mrs. Walker,” as I say as I walk into the kitchen.

"Jenna, you know it’s Emily."

"Sorry, force of habit," I apologize.

Her brown eyes twinkle. She walksover and hugs me, "I can’t believe tomorrow you both finish high school. My girls have grown up so fast!"

She lets me go and I smile, "Thank you, for everything. You have basically taken me in and accepted me, as broken as I am."

Her gentle face fills with a look of happiness, her eyes filling with tears, "You aren’t broken, dear. We love you like you’re our own."

I feel a tear fall down my face and I hug her once again.

"Barf!" one of Maddie’s brothers says walking into the kitchen.

The other isn’t far behind, "Of course you get all sappy and gross right before we eat."

"Boys, have you washed up?" Emily asks.

"No," one of the boys mutters.

"Well do it please," Emily says.

 I walk over and ruffle their blond hair, "Ready for 6th year to be over?"

"Yes! Over the summer we’re going to Ireland!" the one on the left, Luke, replies excitedly.

Here’s how you tell them apart because it’s really easy to mix up the blond hair, the pale skin, and freckles that both of them have. Luke’s face is rounder than Kyle’s. Simple as that...well, not really.

"That’s exciting! When are you leaving?"

"We leave as soon as you and Maddie get back from London. We’re going for a month!"

"A month? Sounds like fun!" Fun for them, hell for me.

"Yeah! And we get to finally meet Granddad!"

"Very cool!" I say, even though I have no idea they had a grandfather still alive. "Why don’t you wash up like your mum said?" I suggest.

They grumble a bit, but finally disappear through the doorway once again. In the hallway I hear Maddie yelp in pain before entering the kitchen.