The Color Yellow

The school year was coming to an end  and you could feel the summer heat start to set in day by day. Parties for the beginning of summer were already being planned and Tom and I had decided to start dating. Beck and Ethan were still a happy couple and dad had been home from the hospital for a week. Everything was happening so fast and life was finally looking up. 

I woke up on a tuesday morning and dressed into a yellow flowy and casual dress. I thought of Elsie. She would be so excited that it was summer and that I had a boyfriend. I picked up my phone and Tom facetimed me, "Hey, Tom."

"Morning, sunshine," he smiled as I applied some mascara, "Do you want an iced vanilla latte or regular iced coffee?"

"Iced vanilla latte, please," I answered, taking my hair down from it's ponytail.

"I'll be at your house to pick you up in about an hour, okay?" Tom said.

"Okay," I smiled, "I'll see you then."

"See ya."  He hung up and I smiled. Tom was amazing. I curled my hair and then pulled my white vans on. Okay, cute last day of school outfit check. Technically, there was a week of school left but it was exam week and I had exempted all my exams with my straight A's. I walked downstairs and made myself a bagel. Tom texted me when he showed up and I ran out to his car, climbing into the passenger's seat and Tom handed me my coffee, "Thank you," I smiled, taking a sip of the drink. 

"You're welcome," Tom smiled, pulling out of the driveway. We drove to school and met with Beck and Ethan in the commons, my cousin and her boyfriend joining us. School seemed like it lasted forever and when the day was finally over the group headed over to eck's house to celebrate. 

"Beer anyone?" Beck asked opening the fridge.

"Sure," I responded, everyone looked at me, "What? Can't a girl celebrate?"

"Yeah but I never thought I would see the day you consume alcohol," Beck said, handing me the drink.

"How much you wanna bet she will get tipsy off of one beer," Tom said, opening his drink.

"I will not!" I answered, taking a sip of the liquid. 

I finished the drink and I was definitely feeling a buzz but wasn't tipsy. I set the can on the table and said, "See? I'm not tipsy!" Tom smirked and pulled me into another room, "Yes?" 

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I responded smiling. Tom bent down and kissed me and I felt instantly relaxed. 

That afternoon I understood how great I had it. I have a boyfriend and amazing friends. I have a supportive family and my dad. I then thought of a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. I left Beck's house and sped to their house. I knocked on the door ad the familiar forty-year old woman opened the door.

"Ivy," she smiled, "It's so great to see you, come on in."

I walked into the house I had spent most of my childhood in. I excused myself to the bathroom but actually walked to my best friends room. I opened the door and smiled lightly at the hot pink bedspread and the box of old 2000 magazines. I imagined what life would be like if Elsie lived. Would I have even met Tom? Or Beck? or Ethan? 

I looked into the corner and saw a flower laying on the ground. I picked it up and smiled. A daisy that she had flattened out so it would last forever. Turning around I looked into a cardboard box and then found the matching sweaters we had gotten. 

When I returned to Beck's that night we all decided to watch a movie. I sat down and Tom smiled at me.

"What?" I asked, laughing lightly.

"You look so good in that color," He explained.

"What?" I asked confused, "The color yellow?"

"Yes, the color yellow."

THE END :)