Chapter 10 - Zora's Domain

Summary: After Link escorts Mipha back to Zora's Domain, it is finally time for a heart-to-heart talk.

The next morning Mipha suggested they take the raft back to the domain as far as they could. As the winds were favorable, the weather mild, and the river calm, it made perfect sense.

"Did you ever enjoy sailing?" said Mipha.

"I did it a bit," said Link. "I had to use a large Korok Leaf to get anywhere unless the wind was blowing the right way. It was slow going and took a lot of energy. But it was the only way to reach some islands. I used to wish I could swim like a Zora. It would have made things much easier."

It was a smooth sail under the Thims Bridge, and then they traveled to the East of a small island and onward past Zelo Pond and Mercay Island and then finally to the mouth of the Zora River.

"This is where our journey on horseback to the Great Plateau began," said Link. "We've come full circle, from here to the Great Plateau to Rito Village to Gerudo Town and then north of Hyrule Castle to the Lost Woods and now back to the domain. We've seen a good deal of Hyrule together."

"Yes, and I will always remember it," said Mipha. "I wish it was under happier circumstances, though."

They made their way along the North bank of the Zora River on foot for now. The Zora River current flowed against them, so travel by water would be more difficult. But Mipha offered to help pull him along and even up waterfalls if necessary. There was a tall Sheikah Tower atop a mountain to their south. Link wished he had time to visit all the towers and shrines, but it would have to wait. They could see Ruta's targeting beam overhead above the tower, still locked onto Hyrule Castle, awaiting her pilot's order to strike at Ganon.

As they reached the Inogo Bridge, they decided to rest for a moment and climbed up into one of the two Zora built structures there. It offered seating, modest shelter, and a view of the surrounding area. A light rain began to fall as they sat together, and they had to move to the center of the structure and sit on the floor, leaning against it to avoid getting wet. The rain dripped onto the top and down the sides. Link looked over at Mipha and could see the excitement in her eyes as she neared her home.

"You certainly look happy to be coming home!" said Link.

"Yes, I am," said Mipha. "I love it here in the domain! And I miss my family. These two structures mark the entrance to the domain and the first sight of home for me in quite some time. Do you mind waiting here for a bit while it rains? I'm enjoying sitting here with you."

"No, there's no hurry, I'm enjoying it, too," said Link. "I like the sound of rain. I hated trying to climb in it, but we're already up here. Forgive me, but I sometimes used to think of the domain as my home as well. I never really had a permanent home as long as I can remember. When I had time, I always thought of coming to see you. It was the closest thing to coming home I had. And the domain holds a lot of memories for me."

"And for me, too," said Mipha. "And I'm glad you felt welcome enough to think of here as your home."

"You and your father always made me feel welcome," said Link. "When I was small, I didn't think anything of it. But later, when I was older and realized how important a person you are, I felt almost ashamed that I took up so much of your precious time and took your friendship so for granted. You were very kind."

"Thank you," said Mipha. "But I wasn't just being kind. I enjoyed your company too. And I wish you would not think of my royalty so much."

They sat quietly for a few more moments as a steady rain fell.