Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Napabuntong-hininga ako habang nakaupo sa isa sa mga hammock at tinitignan sila Kelly na ngayon ay naglalaro na sa may dagat. Inaya nila ako kanina pero dahil wala ako sa mood ay hindi ako sumama.

I just watched them play. Para silang mga bata na ngayon lang nakapunta sa dagat. Nasa malayong parte sila ng dagat pero rinig na rinig ko parin ang ingay nila.

I shook my head and smiled.

"You look relaxed now." I heard Clove's voice behind me.

Napalingon ako sa likuran ko at nakita siyang nakangiti habang nakatingin sa akin. He walked towards me and sit beside me. Hinawakan niya ang kamay ko at hinalikan ang likuran non.

"Are you okay?" He softly asked. Hindi niya binitawan ang kamay ko.

I smiled at him. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

"I can't help it, baby." He caress my cheeks.

Napakagat ako sa pang-ibabang labi ko. God. Even his simple touch affects me so much.

"Are you sure this is the first time we met?" Tanong ko sa kanya.

Kumunot ang noo ni Clove. "What do you mean?"

"Before the deal happened, do you really not know me?"

"You are the captain of the cheerleading team. Of course I know you even before that."

"No, not that. Other than that, you don't really know me? Personally?"

Umiling siya. "No. The first time I talked to you was through the paper and it was to tell you I'm sorry for eavesdropping."

I remember that. That was the time we had a new seating arrangement and I caught him eavesdropping on my conversation with Riley on the phone.

"Are you sure?" I asked him again.

"What is this about, baby?" He asked. Kitang kita ko ang kaguluhan sa mukha niya.

Umiling ako. "Nothing." I faked a smile. "It's just, I was just curious. Malay mo kilala mo na pala ako noon diba?"

"I know you even back then. But we don't really talk."

Hindi na ako sumagot pa. I just nodded my head and look back at the sea again.

If Clove and I talked in the past, it's impossible for me to forget it. I mean, who would forget talking to a guy like him?

But damn. What does Riley mean? Anong ibig niyang sabihin sa mga sinabi niya sa akin kagabi? She is drunk, yes, but I know that all she said was genuinely true. This is not the first time she lashed out on me while she is drunk so I know that she was telling the truth.

But what does she mean by that?

She knows something. Mom and Calli know something too. They know something that I don't know. But what is it? At bakit parang ayaw nilang malaman ko ang bagay na 'yon?

What are they hiding from me?

"Baby? You okay?"

Natigil ako sa pag-iisip nang marinig ang boses ni Clove. Nilingon ko siya at nakita ang pag-aalala sa mukha niya habang nakatingin sa akin.

"What are you thinking? Are you sure you're okay?"

Tumango ako. "Don't mind me. I was just stressed lately."

Clove didn't answer. He just look at me for seconds before shaking his head. "Want to walk around? It'll relax you."

"I don't mind." Nginitian ko siya at pinisil ang kamay niya.