Chapter Six: Recon

"I'm out of sticks to sharpen, Linx," Kiy said walking up to him. They were outside, the suns high above them. Linx looked up from the stone he was sharpening into an arrowhead.

For the last three days the boy had been walking around forlorn and melancholy, his head directed at the ground at his feet, and his voice sounding like tears threatened. Linx opened his arms. "Come here, little one." Kiy stepped into them, not having to wait long before those strong arms gathered him up against an equally strong chest. Kiy felt safe like this. Less vulnerable and less afraid of what the world might throw at him. Linx smiled as little arms wrapped around his much larger ones, little hands grasping. "You okay?"

"I don't feel good." Linx checked the boy's forehead.

"You don't have a fever. You are pale though." He kissed the sweaty hairline and stood, his arms bracing the boy's legs and head. Kiy turned his face into Linx's chest, blocking out the suddenly too bright light of midday.

They entered the darkened cabin and Linx carried Kiy over to the couch. "Kiy, let me set you down here." Kiy whined pathetically and tightened his grip around Linx. "Alright. Alright." Linx sat with the boy in his lap and gently pet the soft hair from his face. "What doesn't feel good, little one?" Linx asked him gently.

"I don't know," came the pouty reply.

"Well, is it physical or is it mental?" Linx implored further.

"Both." He curled further into Linx's body. Linx pulled over a blanket and covered the boy as he began to shake.

"What hurts physically?" Linx spoke so softly Kiy's eyes began to water.

"My head hurts and my tummy doesn't feel good. And I feel all hot and cold at once." Kiy leaned in to the cool touch of Linx's hand as he wiped away fallen tears.

"Alright. Now, what hurts mentally?" This had always been a successful way of getting Kiy to tell him what was wrong. Break it down to less complex and direct questioning.

"My head. And my heart. It's all making my tummy flip around." He sounded so much like a child then. So much more than he did on a day to day. Linx fought a smile remembering how much of a baby Kiy became when sick either at head or heart.

Linx kept petting him and it calmed him imencly. "What's got you all twisted up, little one?"

"What's gonna happen when I turn eight?" Eye contact wasn't something that lasted when he spoke this.

"We're going to have a big feast in your honor. We can play games all day and have fun. And I have something for you." Linx smiled. "We all do, really."

"Like what?" Linx looked at him for a moment calculating the reasoning for that question.

"Something each of us made. Mine isn't done yet, but it will be. Something to show you how much we love you." Kiy concentrated on the feeling of Linx's hand gliding through his hair. He knew none of them would hurt him, but he was haunted by his caregivers' words. And that fear swept all logic away like a river flood. "What are you so afraid of happening, little one?" Kiy didn't answer, only curled himself further into his chest. Linx said nothing more, wishing he didn't feel so damned helpless. He held Kiy instead of trying to pry further, either by use of his power or words. He pet the boy's hair, his hand gliding down his back and back up again until he calmed. He tried to think, to use his own power of deduction from their past to figure out what it was that bothered him so now. His birthday. That was a clue. He chewed on the corner of his top lip as he thought. Suddenly a memory of Kiy's last birthday flashed through his head.

They lay together, wrapped in each other's arms, smiling as they kissed. Neither had shirts on, though they had sleep-pants on. Their kiss deepened, their bodies pressed tightly against one another. As their lips tangled together their hands began to roam, their hips rubbing together. Linx could feel Kiy's excitement against his own, which always spurred him on. Linx's hand slipped under Kiy's pants, grasping him. Kiy moaned, biting his lip, moaning as Linx slowly and expertly pumped him. With such suddenness as to catch Linx by utter surprise, Kiy tensed up, his erection immediately deflating, and his moans turned to fearful whimpers. Linx pulled his hand away and Kiy breathed a tight sob of relief. His eyes were squeezed shut and when Linx let go he curled up, his legs pressed against Linx's chest. Linx wondered if he were to put a barrier between them for reassurance, but he set his arm along his calf, gripping lightly.