Unexpected

Kelley's POV

'Kelley, can you please open the door." I hear Erin say from outside of my room. I was isolating myself from everyone. I could never think straight. I was always so distracted. So much was happening around me. My mom was never home because she was constantly meeting lawyers. She even hired a private investigator to help prove that my dad was innocent.

I finally pulled myself out of my bed and opened the door for Erin to come in. She lets out a sigh as I lay back down on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

"I'm worried about you, Kels." She tells me as she sits on the edge of my bed. I knew what she was talking about. She was worried that I would end up spiraling like I did years ago. I was in a really bad place, holding in so many secrets that I still didn't want to share with anyone. Not even my sister.

When I spiraled, I had to go to rehab. I had issues with self harm and self acceptance, there was a lot about me that I hated. In reality, I lost my sanity. I just wasn't me. I didn't like the person that I was.

Really, the only thing that kept me from going insane completely was soccer. It was what kept me going. Soccer and my sister of course.

"I'm fine, Erin, really." I tell her. And honestly, I was fine. I just had so much on my mind,  I wanted some space to figure things out.

"I want to believe you, Kelley, I really do. But the way you have been acting lately. I don't know..." Erin says as she lets out another sigh.

"Really, I am fine. I just need some time to figure things out. You don't have to worry about me." I say and give her a small smile.

"Well, if I'm not going to worry about you, then who will?" She says with a small laugh. She kisses my forehead before standing up. "I'll be downstairs she says. I watch as she leaves my room.

I run my hand through my hair. I decided to go on another walk, which I have been doing a lot lately. Back when I was younger, I would always go out for long walks with my dad. I remember him telling me that he always went out for a walk to clear his mind and now, I see why.

I went downstairs and told Erin that I was heading out. Then, I walked out the front door and headed for town. Protests have definitely died down which I was happy about. As I continued walking, I passed by the Morgan's house. And right at that moment, the door opened and that girl, Alex walked out.

I turned away and started walking quickly, the other direction. But, she still spotted me.

"Hey." She says. I stop walking and slowly turn around to face her. I don't say anything in response. I don't really know what she was expecting from me.

"Are you headed to town?" She asks me.

"Uh, yes I am." I reply.

"Mind if I accompany you?" She asks and I just shrug my shoulders. We both started walking towards town and let me tell you, I have never felt more awkward in my entire life. Because I don't know if she knows that I am Dan O'Hara's daughter. The daughter of the man who has been accused of killing her father when I knew that he didn't do it.

"You don't talk much do you?" Alex asks me.

"There isn't really much to be said." I say back and then it went silent again.

"How long have you lived here?" She asks and I did not want to be rude and not answer so I answered.

"My whole life." I tell her and I glance over at her and she was looking down at her feet as we were walking.

"My family just moved here just last year." Alex says.

"Do you like it here?" I ask her and she shrugs her shoulders as we stop at a street light.

"It's a nice town but it's not my home if that makes sense." Alex replies and I nod.

"Where are you from?"

"Diamond Bar, California." She says and I had know idea where that was other than the fact that it was a town in California. "I get that face a lot when people ask where I'm from. It's a town just outside of Anaheim and LA." She adds with a small laugh.

"You'll have to point that one out on a map." I say and Alex lets out another laugh.

"How about over coffee?" She asks, right as we stopped in front of a coffee shop. I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach but I agreed as I followed her into the coffee shop. We waited in line without saying much to each other. When Alex was next up in line she ordered a coffee with two creams and two sugars.

"What would you like?" Alex asks me and I realized she was going to pay for my order.

"I can pay for myself." I tell her but Alex shakes her head.

"I dragged you in here, let me." She says and when she said that, it sounded so final. I stepped up to the register and ordered a cappuccino. After we got our drinks, we sat at a table.

I looked around the coffee shop and realized that there were people staring at me. They knew who I was. Everyone in this town pretty much knew who my family was, and when they hear our family name, they shake their heads in disgust. It was an uncomfortable feeling but Alex didn't seem to notice.