Love Is A Gamble

Christen's POV

I heard a knock on my door and I let out a sigh as I went to go answer it. When I opened the door I saw Kelley standing in front of me.

"Did you need something?" I ask as she pushes past me.

"Nope." She says as she sits on the bed I was sleeping on.

"Okay?"

"I just wanted to hang out with you." Kelley says and I relaxed a little as I sat on the bed next to her.

"Did you want to talk about something?" I ask.

"How did you know?"

"One, I've known you for 6 years now, and two, your face says it all." I say and she lets out a small laugh.

"Okay, you got me." Kelley says and she puts her hands up in surrender.

"Is everything okay? Are you taking your meds?" I ask and she nods her head, "I dot really know where to start to be honest."

"Is this about Alex?" I ask and Christen looks me in the eyes and I knew right away that it was about Alex.

"I don't know what I'm doing, Chris. I see her and I am just easily distracted and I just keep thinking about... her."

"Have you talked to her?" I ask.

"Yes, I have been talking to her a bit more than I used to."

"And how does that make you feel?"

"It's just... complicated. You know how hard it was for me to move on when she left and now she's here and suddenly everything  just comes back to me."

"Because deep down, you couldn't shut your feelings out. I know you, Kelley. I know how much you loved this girl. It's your decision on what you want to do moving forward."

"I just don't want to get hurt again." Kelley says and I let out a sigh as I reach for both of her hands.

"You're easily one of the strongest most beautiful people the world will ever know. I think you know just how much you have been through over the past several years. Life has been hard on you. I know you don't want to get hurt again but I also know that maybe, if you give her a chance, something can happen. Something good of course."

"I kissed her."

"You what?" I ask, completely surprised.

"You heard me."

"When?" I ask.

"Before the game against China. I don't know it just kind of happened." She says and she shrugs her shoulders.

"And?"

"That was it." Kelley says simply, "Christen, I have no idea what i'm doing right now."

I let out a small sigh, "Kels, you know that I've always wanted to see you happy. That's all I ever wanted for you. And if Alex makes you happy then go be with her. Nothing is stopping you."

"But I don't want to get hurt again. We're on good terms right now and I feel like something is going to happen and we'll both suffer the consequences."

"Love is a gamble, Kels. I think you know what to do." I say and she nods her head.

"Sounds like you're in love too." Kelley tells me and I swallow hard. She was talking about Tobin and that's exactly who I'm thinking about.

Tobin was very different from a lot of people. She was wise and kind and just sat back and enjoyed herself. What I've noticed about her is that she takes care of herself first before anyone and that's honestly something that I have been trying to focus on too. I sat with her at breakfast one morning and every now and then, I would steal a few glances at her. She was adorable in every way a person can be.

She was also very mysterious. It felt like there was so much to her that was unknown and she didn't talk about herself as much. It was hard getting to know her but I knew that it would be worth it.

"You like her right? Tobin." Kelley says and I give her a small smile.

"Yeah. I do."

"What's she like?"

"Different." Is all I say.

"How did we end up in this position? Just both of us in love."

*

I was out taking a walk through Seattle when I heard my name be called. I turn around and see Tobin walking up to me.

"I thought it was you." She says with a small smile.

"Are you following me or something?" I ask with a small laugh.

"Nope. Just happened to be out here too."

"I suppose I can use the company."

"I see you do yoga in the morning. How long have you been doing that?" Tobin asks.

"I started doing yoga in my junior year of college. It was a hard year for me... I guess it gave me time to think."

"Maybe I should consider doing yoga then."

"I can teach you." I say with a laugh.

"I might have to take you up on that." Tobin says. We both kept walking until we stopped st our hotel.

"You're quite mysterious Tobin." I tell her.

"How do you mean?"

"You know a bit about me and I know nothing about you."

"I don't live an interesting life."

"We all live an interesting life."

"Not everyone."

"Where are you from?" I ask.

"New Jersey."

"Do you have siblings?"

"Sorta."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Alex... she's my foster sister." Tobin says and I nod my head, "is that good enough?"

"It'll do for now."