Chapter 2

The next morning, I get up really at 7:40 and got ready.

I quickly pulled on some high waist jeans and put on a burgundy tank and tucked them in the jeans.

Then I put my curly hair in a high ponytail with my baseball hat on top of my head.

As I run out of my bedroom door, I grab my baseball glove and hurry down the stairs.

"Mom! I'm going to the sandlot!" I yell as I'm walk out the front door.

I close it behind me and as I turn around I bump right into Benny and we're face to face.

I blink.

"Uhh.. what are you doing here? Is Smalls ready?" I ask kinda confused.

He scratches the back of his neck.

"No. Smalls had to go somewhere with his family at the last minute so, he told me to come get you instead. Though you know I dont really like it so hurry up come on."

He says and steps of the porch and starts to walk away.

I adjust my hat and run to catch up with him.

When I get to his side I stop running and just walk.

We walk in silence for a while.

Then the silence was unbearable so I decided to bring up a random topic.

I look up at him look at his dark hair.

"Is your hair black or dark brown?" I ask.

He looks down at me, perplexed.

"Um..uh..well it's really dark brown I think. Why?"

I shrug.

"I don't know. I was just wondering."

He nods his head.

His hair looked so soft and suddenly I wanted to touch it.

I hesitate before asking.

"Can I feel you hair? Just really quick. It looks so soft."

I afraid he's gonna think I'm just crazy.

He stares at me, confused and a million different expressions appear on his face.

He takes a minute before answering.

"Uhh........well- I mean, sure.." he bends his head down and I put my hand in his hair.

"Wow! Dude what do you put in it?! It's like a cloud!"

I exclaimed as he lifts his head back up again.

He just smiles and shakes his head.

"No really! It's unbelievably soft! Jeez!"

Now he's laughing.

"It's not that soft. for real."

"Yes it is." I say back.

His smile stays on his face for a while and I start to believe that we're cool now, but then it's like he all of a sudden remembers yesterday and his smile disappears.

So does mine.

It's really disappointing, I actually thought that we were finally becoming friends and he got over yesterday, but apparently not.

We walk in silence for the rest of the walk.

When we finally get to the sandlot, everyone is already sitting in the dugout.