Chapter 12: Fiona

Dear Mother, 

Is it true that you've been using black magic to hide the fact that you haven't paid the business taxes? Are you lying to me?

Don't deny it if it's true. Tell me. 

- Genevieve. 

Dear Gen, 

Yes.

I'm sorry but there was no other option- we couldn't afford those taxes. It was a harmless deal- your father and I checked. 

I love you and I'm sorry, 

-Mother (I love you). \

Dear Gen, 

Please write us back, it's been a month. I'm sorry. What do you want me to say? I wish I could go back and never do it but I can't say it wasn't worth it. We needed the income. 

I love you and miss you and so does Father and Mira. She's so confused to why you haven't replied (I didn't tell her about the first letter) and she's hurt. Don't take this out on her. 

I love you. Please write back. 

-Mother

-

"What do you mean it's stupid!?" exclaimed Dell, affronted. He was currently modeling potential outfits for a dinner with Nina whom he had finally gathered enough shards of courage to ask. They were now officially courting and Gen was happy for them. 

The current outfit, unfortunately, included a frilly cravat which wouldn't be so bad if it ended there- it didn't. The cravat was in the shade of a putrid green color that made Gen wince every time she looked at it. Dell, however, was convinced Nina would like it. "She likes green," he insists. 

"But not that," said Gen, biting her lip. "It's an ugly green."

Dell frowned, "Don't hurt my cravat's feelings."

Gen rolled her eyes. "Dell."

"Gen."

"Come on, she's expecting you in less than ten minutes, please change," she said. "You'll regret if you don't."

He frowned even deeper and turned to check his reflection in the cracked floor length mirror of the servants' commons. Gen hadn't been down here before and was amazed by the area. The servants' quarters and commons were located underground nearby to the kitchen. Lanterns and lamps hung from the ceiling and on the walls to give the gloomy room some more light. Despite the seemingly cramped and dank circumstances, the room had a homey feel to it most likely as a result of the many rugs, tapestries, and plush chairs around the room that were added by generations of workers. 

Gen's favorite part of the room was the mural of the gods that was painted on the stone walls. Bhas, the king, was in the middle with his wife, Tama, on his arm. She held her famous Night Scepter which in companion to Bhas' Sun Sword brought night and day to the world. The four elemental netras and netris, Sahara (water), Dhara (Earth), Agnus (fire), and Pavan (wind) were surrounding them, each with their individual symbols. Sahara with her serpent, Dhara with his Immortal Seeds, Agnus with her torch, and Pavan with his wings.

And standing off to the corner, isolated but content, was Devahna, the Immortal Prophet who was blessed to become a goddess and join the league of Immortals. She held her sacred scroll which contained the first ever prophecies and omens. Gen had trouble believing in the gods, but even she gained some comfort from her patron goddess.