Chapter 4

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place," Steve said, pausing for a moment. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

Steve tilted his head to look up at Ross, the ocean in his eyes swirling as if a storm was about to brew. He made eye contact with the General, doing his upmost best not to stand up and let him have it. Yet, before he could reply to the question Ross added, "If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes, you can be sure there'd be consequences."

Tony brought his left hand to his face, holding it firmly with his other. He was shaking. Steve was going to go against him. He was going to argue against this new law. But, he couldn't do that... could he? He was meant to be America's golden boy: the one and only Star Spangled Man. The genius exhaled quietly, crossing his fingers that Steve would make the right decision.

Ross continued. "Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

Rhodey tapped his hand on the pile of documents that was in front of him. He didn't seem impressed. However, he looked substantially calmer than both Steve and Nat. "So... there are contingencies?"

Ross smiled. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords." Steve turned his head to face Tony, clearly outraged. The billionaire stayed staring at the ground, swivelling his shoes, until Steve coughed to get his attention. The two leaders made eye contact, before the General added, "To talk it over."

Stretching out her arms, the assassin got Ross' attention just as he began to exit the room. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" she asked.

"Then you retire..."

The assassin bit her lip, using all her training to keep her cool. The Avengers couldn't retire. Not when the world was just getting even more dangerous. Not right now. They would retire when they were sure Earth was safe, protected. Even if that meant going against the United Nations, and anyway it wasn't like Natasha hasn't broken the law before.

Ross eventually left, leaving the room full of heroes- who happened to all have different ideas on whether it was right or wrong. Sam stood up, and exclaimed that, "That Ross guy's an idiot. How can the world be safe if the Avengers ain't here to save it?"

Rhodey got out of his seat, standing opposite the Falcon. He shook his head in disbelief. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have."

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asked, ready to fight the man in front of him. Tony rolled his eyes, glad he couldn't actually see what was happening. He was sat on the sofa facing the over way; his head was in his hands.

"117 countries want to sign this! 117, Sam, and you're just like," Rhodey made his voice raise an octave, "No, that's cool. We got it"?

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam cut in.

Vision, noticing the tension, quickly made the decision to break up the quarrel. "I have an equation," he stated, nonchalantly.

Sam shook his head, trying to cover his smirk. "Oh, this will clear it up."

Vision ignored him. "In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

Steve glanced at the bot from over the documents he was currently skimming through. "Are you saying it's our fault?" He sounded worried. Concerned. Guilty. The soldier didn't know whether it was their fault. What if it was their fault Hydra has resurfaced? What if it was their fault Loki had decided to come to Earth? He knew it was definitely someone's fault that a robot had tried to kill everyone.