You Had Me At Hello

{Song: You Had Me At Hello by A Day to Remember}

I paced the room, back and forth. I had my hands tangled in my black hair and my heart raced a mile a minute. The feeling in the pit of my stomach was beginning to make me sick and I swallowed the lump in my throat. The little black box in the pocket of my leather jacket felt like a million pounds. Claire entered the room and raised her eyebrow.

"Ricky, calm down. You look like a mess." She walked over to me and took my hands from my hair. She brushed out the tangles with her fingers and smiled at me.

"She'll say yes." Claire promised. "She never got over you."

"I hope..." I choked out. We heard the keys jingle in the lock and my knees buckled. Claire caught me and slapped my face.

"Get it together, Richard." She whispered harshly and I nodded. She smiled and left to greet Blaze. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the bedroom to see Blaze, standing in all her beauty. She wore a knee length black dress that hung loosely over her baby bump that was undeniable now. Her black combats had the laces scattered in all directions as she had failed to tie them.

Her green eyes found mine and a dumb smile formed on my lips. She grinned in my direction and looked back at Claire who stole her attention. Claire gave me a look and I nodded before clearing my throat.

"Um, Blaze? Can I take you somewhere?" I fiddled with my fingers and waited for her reply. She seemed shocked while Claire grinned ear to ear.

"Uh, sure." She walked out the door with me and to the car. I started the car and drove us a couple miles away to the far side of Scranton. The drive over was silent but we finally arrived to where I wanted to take her. The house she grew up in and the house that we'd spent many late nights in stood in front of us. I grabbed her hand and walked her up the stairs. I let her have a moment as she stared.

Her eyes wandered the porch, the swing, the yard with the dying oak tree, and the broken living room window. She reached up to wipe her eye and swallowed audibly. I smiled sheepishly and shoved my hands into my pockets. It was a shame that her house had fallen apart but I could still see the love in her eyes.

"Rick..." Blaze chuckled and sniffled before throwing her arms around me. I laughed and hugged her tight. After she had collected herself, she stepped back to look at me.

"Why are we here?"

"Well," I sighed and rocked on my heels, "I was thinking about the day we first met. We got along so well and then I remembered when I first came over." I laughed at the memory and she joined in. "Your parents were weirded out by how I looked but you were so positive about it. And then I remembered our first kiss..." I faded out and faced the house. She stood silently next to me and I could see her smiling from the corner of my eye.

"That's why we're here?"

"No." I scoffed and walked back to her. I held her hands delicately in mine and sighed. "We're here for, um..." I took a deep breath and reached for the ring. Blaze furrowed her brow which caused me to let go of the ring. I took my hand out of my jacket pocket.

"I know that we haven't had the easiest relationship or friendship. I know I forced myself to forget you and I've regretted that ever since. I've always been in love with you, Blaze. I've always wanted to spend forever with you and it's time that I finally start forever."

I got down on one knee and took the ring out. I closed my eyes to avoid the look on her face and opened the little black box. I heard her gasp and I took another breath before popping the question.

"Blaze, will you marry me?" My voice was shaky and cracked. The air around us was silent and my knee started to feel numb. I glanced up to see Blaze with her hands over her mouth and tears streaming down her cheek. I got up and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Blaze?" I whispered. My eyes pleaded with her and I hoped to whatever god there was that she would say yes. Not only would I be heartbroken, but I would be embarrassed that I took the time to prepare myself. I began to feel restless as the time passed before she finally found her voice.

"Ricky, I-" she paused and I got closer. We were nose to nose and tears were still falling down her cheek.

"You what?"

"I..."