Chapter XV: Speculating

"Dad agrees that spying is a good option. He suspects something too." Bryan plopped on the couch next to me after closing the door. He had just come back from the first-class dining hall. Bella was still in the bath, and we decided to let her have extra time in there because of how new plumbing was to her.

"Why, does he suspect something too?" I asked and sat up. I wore the plainest dress I had in my closet and the one easiest to maneuver in. The necklace was back around my neck, as well. Bryan wore brown pants and a white long-sleeve button-down shirt.

"Both times Dad spoke to the captain, Mr. Smith, Mr. Murdoch was present as well. Dad said that he seemed to side more with him than the captain. But when Smith got mad at Murdoch, Murdoch realized he needed to be more careful, as he apologized quickly." Bryan shrugged.

I nodded. For the next ten minutes, we talked of how odd Murdoch had acted.

Normally, if an officer came in during a food fight on a ship, he would get angry and ask to speak with the parents straight away. He wouldn't have let the kids who started it go without admonishing them and their parents-even if their parents weren't a part of it. The food on a ship was limited, especially in these years.

Bella came out of the bathroom. Her hair was still damp, and her face was shining. Bryan couldn't take his eyes off her. Neither could I.

"That bathtub is so warm," she said. "It's like magic."

In the twenty-first century, we probably took too much for granted.

"What did you put on your face?" I asked. I had to know her secret.

"Soap and conditioner-whatever that is."

"I'm going to try that." I laughed. "You put shampoo and conditioner in your hair also, right?"

"I did. I also used that brush thing you showed me. It really smoothed out my hair."

I clapped my hands in front of Bryan's face, so he would stop staring at her. "Shall we go?"

"Yes." Bryan shook his head a few times and stood up. I stood as well and patted down my dress that had gotten slightly scrunched up.

We strolled out the door and began toward the staircase just as Dad, Amy, and Luke reached our level.

"Oh. Hello, children." He looked all around him as if he wanted to say something. When he saw a young couple coming out of a room, he motioned for us to go back into our room.

We obeyed, and all sat in the living room together once Dad had securely locked the door. Luke sat on Dad's lap, and Amy sat on the couch in between Bryan and me. Bella sat on the other unoccupied seat.

"Mr. Murdoch came into the dining room right as you left, Bryan." Dad seemed fidgety. "He said that we needed to be more careful."

"That's it?" Bryan asked, his eyes widening.

"Yes. And then he left. You are right in suspecting something. None of this adds up."

I nodded and explained what Bryan and I had previously talked about.

"So, do you think it is a good idea to go talk to Mr. Smith? To go to the captain's room and tell them of the icebergs?" Bryan asked hesitantly.

"No."

"Why not?" I said before Dad could go on.

"Well, Mr. Murdoch will have to tell the captain of the food fight and that you two started it." He looked between Bryan and me. We nodded, understanding.

I leaned back on the couch and put my arms behind my head, unsure of what to do.

Bryan looked at me, pursed his lips, and then asked Dad what we should do.