Chapter XVIII: The Search

"Kyara, Kyara." Bella's voice rang in my ears.

"What?" I shook my head, trying to wake up. Tears etched the sides of my eyes. I had been crying.

"You had another bad dream."

Rosie's pink cheeks flashed through my mind. I was trying to save her before she drowned, but I couldn't reach her. My feet were glued to the ground just a few feet away from the pool. I couldn't take one step closer. All I could do was watch in horror.

"Are you okay?"

I groaned.

"Can I do anything for you?"

"What time is it?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"It's pretty early." Bella looked at the clock on the wall across the room, studying it. Bryan had taught her how to tell time. "It's 6:40 in the morning."

After I got up, I learned she needed a little more practice. "You read it the wrong way. The small hand tells the hour, and the large one tells the minutes. It's eight thirty."

"Why did they make it so difficult to read a clock?"

A knock startled us. It was Bryan.

"Have any more nightmares?" he asked me considerately.

"She woke up screaming again," Bella said.

"Was it the same one?"

I sat down on the bed and rubbed my head. "Kind of, I was up late last night. By the way, Liam is from the future."

Bryan didn't seem to be surprised.

They gathered around me and I told them Liam's story.

~ ~ ~

"Where to, my lady?" Liam asked in the hallway.

"To my quarters. We need to fetch Bryan and Bella before we go off to breakfast." I tried to match his diction.

Liam laughed. "What?"

I hit his shoulder. "I'll have you know that I've been in several plays set during multiple time periods, and I was always able to pull off the dialogue."

"Are you a good actress?" Liam asked. He picked me up and twirled me in the air like a ballerina.

"That was fun. . . my parents were in the acting business before they decided to have kids."

"Are all four of you in the theater?"

"When Amy was three, she was in a movie. She didn't have a huge part, but it was a great opportunity. Bryan and I were in a movie when we were little—they needed boy and girl twins, and we got the parts. The jury is still out on Luke. I don't know if he wants to act or not."

"I'm better at sports."

I poked my head into my room and told Bryan and Bella we were ready to go. They joined us. Amy and Luke followed them.

"What do you guys think about starting another food fight?" Bryan said.

He must be crazy. "I'm not in favor of being thrown into the brig with Dad. Are you?"

"If we were all in there together, we might be able to figure a way out together."

"We have a better plan to get Dad out, and it will work," I said it confidently.

We entered the first-class dining hall and took our seats.

"How are you guys planning to get Daddy out?" Amy asked.