Chapter XXIV: Love Before Death

We made our way over to some chairs and sat down. Hopelessness overwhelmed me.

"The ship will sink in about four hours," I said, taking a deep breath.

Liam's eyes met mine, and he frowned once he noticed my expression.

"It's okay, Kyara. Didn't I promise you we'd survive? I won't let us go under to the sea with the ship."

I nodded and took another deep breath. "I just wish we were able to find the phone today."

"Yeah, but we did try. The four of us looked and looked all day. That's saying something. If we do survive the crash, at least, we'll be able to say that we tried our hardest to look for the cell phone that would bring us back to the future." Liam assured me, and I felt a little better.

Then it all just hit me—all this stuff about to happen. I couldn't imagine it, the screams and cries of all these victims. It was horrible in the movies, and that was fake. This was real, and we would see all these people get scared. We would witness deaths. I took a deep breath.

"It's absolutely dreadful. No one knows what's about to happen," I said, sharing my thoughts.

"I was just thinking about that too." Liam agreed with obvious pain in his words. I looked down, started twiddling my thumbs, and didn't say anything.

"I will always be here, Kyara, no matter what. Don't you think that life will end tonight," Liam said with a definite certainty in his words. I looked up at him, smiled, and then rested my head on his shoulder.

"But it might, there's still a chance." My voice cracked, and a tear rolled down my face, and I looked up into Liam's eyes.

"There's also still a chance that your dad can save the Titanic from hitting the iceberg. There's also a chance that we can help more people survive and get on the lifeboats if everything goes wrong. There's also a chance that we'll find the phone before we crash or before we must escape the ship. There are more good chances than bad ones."

"But all the good ones are outweighed by the terrible ones."

"Nope. You're looking at it all the wrong way. We can save lives, Kyara. Isn't that better than death? Think about what Jesus did. He saved lives by giving up his own. We must follow in his footsteps."

Tears rolled down my face at Liam's words. He was right. Jesus gave up everything so that his followers may live forever. No one could ever compare to what he did for us. But in order to truly follow him, we must follow in his footsteps, like Liam said. We may have to give up our lives to save others, but it would definitely be worth it. It was worth every last breath.

Was I afraid? No, because I knew where I was going, and I knew that life would be billions of times better than this life—because it was eternal life.

He looked into my eyes and saw that I was crying. His hand wiped away my tears, and he didn't take his eyes off me. I stared into his eyes as well.

"Kyara, you listen to me. Whatever happens tonight, we'll be together, no matter what." He stared into my eyes.

"I never thought my life would end this way," I said, looking into his eyes.

"What are you saying? Life will not end tonight. Can't you get that into your head?"

I looked down at the floor. "But if we give up our lives to save others, then it will."

Liam hugged me tightly, not letting me go. I slowly put my arms around him, hugging him back.

"I love you so much, Kyara. Don't you forget that," he whispered in my ear.