Chapter XII: Dishonesty

The door opened, and Dad came in, muttering under his breath. All conversation ceased.

"How'd it go?" I asked timidly.

"They don't want to change their route. I told them there would be icebergs in the route we are on, but they don't believe me."

Was there another way to save these people? "That's horrible," I said.

"There must be some way to get him to change the route," Bryan said.

"We'll try again tomorrow," Dad said, sitting down on the couch next to Luke.

I looked at the clock. It was three o'clock in the afternoon. Dad had come back earlier than he said he would.

A few minutes of silence passed.

"You want to go walk around the ship until dinner?" Bryan asked.

"You kids can go. I want to take a breather," Dad said, crouching farther in his seat.

"Sure," I said, nodding at Dad. Then I turned to Bryan. "I've been wondering about the attractions on this ship." I stood up. So did Bryan and Bella.

"I w-want to stay with Daddy," Amy said and climbed into Dad's lap.

Luke nodded. "Me too."

"All right. You three have fun," Dad said. "We'll meet you at dinner."

"Where should we go first?" Bryan asked when we got outside the room.

"I don't know. Let's just see what we find," Bryan said, and we began walking down the hallway.

"I was thinking-"

Smack.

I felt like I had just been hit by a linebacker. The next thing I knew, a boy was on top of me, and we were on the ground. Everything went blurry. The boy apologized and stood as quickly as he could.

"Kyara, Kyara, are you okay?" It sounded like Bryan.

I couldn't find the words to respond. My head throbbed in agony.

"I didn't see you," the boy said.

Through my blurred vision, I saw a hand reach out. Someone was trying to help me up. I managed to put my hand in his, and he pulled me to my feet. I blinked a few times, and my sight began to clear up. Bryan, Bella, and the boy stared at me with furrowed brows.

"What?" I asked.

"You don't look so good." Bryan moved toward me and touched my forehead. "Your forehead is all red."

"I'm fine." I lied. My head was throbbing, but I didn't want to look like a wimp in front of the boy.

They said I didn't look fine.

The boy, I recognized to be the son of Nancy, looked fine though. He had muscles on top of muscles. He must be a football player. Wait, football wasn't too big in 1912, or was it?

"I was running, and when I turned the corner, I ran you over," the boy said anxiously. I couldn't remember his name. He apologized again. His struggle to apologize made him look even more attractive.

"I'll be fine, don't worry," I said. "I'm pretty tough." I hoped I wasn't blushing. Then I felt heat in my face.

"I'm Liam." He held out his hand. That's what his name was.

"Hi, Liam, it's good to actually meet you. I'm Kyara. This is Bryan, my twin, and his. . . well. . . Bella." I shook his hand. He had such a firm but friendly grip that I didn't want to let go of.