Chapter XVI: The Truth

"I have to tell you something," I said.

"I need to tell you something too."

"Oh, well, I'm going to go first though because mine is big."

"What if mine is just as big?" He was searching for something but didn't say what it was.

"What do you mean?"

"What if we have the same secret?"

"I don't think that's possible. . ." Then I started thinking. It would make sense if we both did have the same secret.

"Well, I'm going to tell you my secret first just because."

"All right, Kyara, shoot."

"Liam, all of what I've told you is a lie. I never went riding at night with my brother, I wasn't born in New York City, and I don't have five horses."

"I don't understand?" But his eyes were showing that he did understand.

"You'll understand later, but you have to listen. And don't comment until the end. . . please."

"Okay." He had kind of a smug smile.

I took a breath and told him everything from the storm to Costco to seeing Jesus to Rome and how we got here.

He was patient with me, never flinching. "Thank you for trusting me with your secret," he said when I finished.

"You don't hate me?" I was afraid to hear the answer.

"Of course not."

I breathed a sigh of relief, but I couldn't help but wonder why he would be so accepting of such a far-fetched story.

"Kyara?" Liam began, but was interrupted.

Bella and Bryan reappeared. They were breathing hard.

"Dad's plan didn't work," Bryan said. "They locked him up in one of these rooms, and it's guarded. They think he's crazy. Apparently, Dad didn't have proof. I don't know what to do."

"We have to find a way to get him back." I got up.

"But how?" Bryan asked. He put his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath.

"We have to create a diversion to distract the guard," I said.

He nodded and gestured for us to follow him. We went out of the secret passageway. "They're holding him in a room just around this corner at the end of the hall." Bryan seemed to be preoccupied by the nearby door. He knocked on it. No one answered. We followed him inside, finding two rat-eaten bunk beds on each side and a cracked sink askew on the wall at the end of the room.

"Where are Amy and Luke?" I asked, fearful for them.

"We checked on them and told them to stay in the room. They're okay but are worried for us. We need to be quick." He stumbled over his words, speaking too fast and breathing hard.

"I'll go out in the hall and pretend to trip and hurt my leg," Bryan said. "When I yell for help, the guard should come to investigate. That will give one of you a chance to rescue Dad and the other two a chance to help me take the guard down."

"I'll rescue, Dad," I said. "Liam and Bella, you can help Bryan with the guard."

Bryan told Liam and Bella to hide in the corner of the room until the guard checked on him. That was their cue to pounce on the guard.

Liam and Bella took their places. I hid behind a corner down the hallway. I could see both the guard and Bryan from my view, but they could not see me. Ready to run, I gave Bryan the thumbs-up.