Chapter XX: The Worst of the Worst

"We can get dinner soon, if you want," Liam said. We stood against the railing at the end of the ship.

"It's only about four o'clock, no need to eat this early." I shrugged.

"You're right. Should we just hang out up on the deck until it is dinnertime then?" Liam asked.

"Sure, I like having time alone with you." I walked to the edge of the ship and looked out on the water.

"Beautiful day."

"Definitely." I smiled.

"It's quite terrible that some of these people on the deck behind us are going to die tomorrow night," Liam said and looked at me.

"Do you always have to make the moment that's so great bad?"

"I'm sorry, Kyara. I didn't mean to." Liam apologized and put his hand on mine.

"It's okay, I forgive you." I clenched his fingers with mine.

"The water is so peaceful, it's amazing," Liam said, beginning a new subject. I took a deep breath and thought about tomorrow night.

"It is pretty unfortunate. You don't know what life throws at you. You and I are some of the only people who know that more than half of the people on the ship are going to die. About 1,500 people go under. I don't get why—"

"I don't either, Kyara. It is not fair, and the captain should have listened to your father."

"I'm glad I have you, Liam." I smiled, and Liam locked his lips with mine. My heart started pounding really fast. I loved it when Liam kissed me; I felt like I was flying in the arms of someone very special. Liam was forever mine.

Liam let go of the kiss, and I looked at him with love. I didn't care about the few people who looked at us; all I cared about was Liam and me together. I loved him so much and knew everything would be okay because I was with my love.

"I love you. I really do, Kyara. I want you to know that," Liam said.

"I do. I love you too." I smiled. It was silent.

"No matter what, Kyara, I'll always be here for you."

I took a deep breath, showed Liam a simple smile, and then turned to look around at the other passengers on deck. They didn't know what was going to happen in a little over twenty-four hours. "How do you think Mr. Smith will react when he realizes my dad was right?"

"I hope we don't find out," Liam said.

I rested my arms on the railing to watch the water. As much as I loved spending time with Liam on the deck, I had an ulterior motive. Whenever I looked across the expanse of the clear blue ocean, I was looking for an iceberg. I knew it was ridiculous to think I could spot such a thing with my naked eye before one of the officials on the ship did, but they wouldn't actually be looking for an iceberg.

Liam put his arms around my waist. "Do you think we'll find the cell phone soon?"

"It took us more than two weeks to find it in Rome, but, even after we found it, it took us another two weeks to retrieve it."

"You don't sound optimistic."

What could I say to that? "What did you think when you found out you were going back to America on the Titanic?"

"I begged Nancy and Henry to stay in England awhile longer. They told me we had to go now. I reiterated that this wasn't the best time, but they didn't understand. If I told them the truth, they probably would have left me behind, thinking I was crazy. I figured that knowing what I know, there was a chance to alert officials and avoid a tragedy. And just think, if I hadn't come, I wouldn't have met you."