Referring To The Hyksos King As "Azeez" And Not Pharoah

Referring To The Hyksos King As “Azeez” And Not Pharoah

One of the most idiotic lies made against Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is that he fabricated the Qur'an from his knowledge of the Bible. Those who make this claim always ignore the fact that the Quran does not copy any of the historical errors of the Bible.

One such error is the title given to the King of Egypt when Prophet Yusuf (AS) arrived there as a slave. Here’s what the Bible says:

When two full years had passed, Pharaoh had a dream: He was standing by the Nile, 2 when out of the river there came up seven cows, sleek and fat, and they grazed among the reeds. 3 After them, seven other cows, ugly and gaunt, came up out of the Nile and stood beside those on the riverbank. 4 And the cows that were ugly and gaunt ate up the seven sleek, fat cows. Then Pharaoh woke up.

Genesis 41 New International Version

However, it is well known now that during this time, Egypt had been conquered by a group of people called the Hyksos. The Hyksos ruled Egypt for about 200 years before being expelled by the Egyptians.

Even though the Hyksos ruled Egypt, their rulers did not take the title “Pharaoh.” This was a title reserved only for Egyptian kings of Egyptian descent. The Egyptian priests (crucial to anyone wanting to rule Egypt) would have never given this title to foreign rulers.

When Prophet Yusuf/Joseph (AS) and his family entered Egypt, the Hyksos were in charge. As we know from the Quran, Yusuf (AS) gained favor with the King of Egypt by correctly interpreting his dream and saving the land from famine.

And the king said, “Bring him to me; I will appoint him exclusively for myself.” And when he spoke to him, he said, “Indeed, you are today established [in position] and trusted.”

[Joseph] said, “Appoint me over the storehouses of the land. Indeed, I will be a knowing guardian.”

And thus We established Joseph in the land to settle therein wherever he willed. We touch with Our mercy whom We will, and We do not allow to be lost the reward of those who do good.

Chapter 12 Verses 54-56

Prophet Yussef (AS) family joined him soon afterwards and the Children of Israel prospered and benefited from their close relationship with the Hyksos.

Many years later, the Egyptians overthrew the Hyksos and regained control over Egypt. The Israelites were seen as co-conspirators and were enslaved by the Egyptians. And hence, by the time Prophet Musa (AS) is born, they were under severe persecution from the true, Egyptian Pharaoh.

The point is, that if Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was copying from the Bible, he would have made the same mistakes the Bible made i.e. calling the Hyksos king “Pharaoh.”

But he did not. Allah revealed the truth and referred to the King of that time as “Al-Azeez” (The Master) or The King.