Chapter 7: Spencer's Mini-Breakdown

I looked between Spencer, Jamie and Tommy, raising my eyebrows. Huh? Jamie was the first to speak.

"Hi Spencer!" she said with more enthusiasm than anyone who had ever talked to him before (or so I reckoned). "Didn't expect to see you here!" she trilled. I looked at Tommy, who looked at me just as blankly. We both turned to look at the other two. Spencer, I noticed, didn't look pleased about seeing her there. Not pleased at all. "Don't look at me like that, Spence! It's all in the past!" he continued to glare at her with such ferocity that I wondered if she would die on the spot.

"Umm...anyone want a drink?" I intervened, hoping no-one would kill me.

"OK," said Tommy. The other two ignored me. I grimaced and was just about to get a drink when Tommy walked forward and placed a hand on Jamie's shoulder.

That set Spencer off.

He kicked the sofa in anger and stormed out, slamming the door behind him. I raised my eyebrows at Jamie, who alone looked undisturbed by the whole thing. She just glared at me. Man, what did I do?

I hurriedly excused myself and got a drink for myself and Tommy. I found myself listening in to their conversation.

"...doesn't matter. I know why he's pissed, and it has nothing to do with you, so leave me alone." Jamie said.

"But-" he was cut off, I don't know by what. She probably glared at him or something.

I don't understand what's up with Spencer. All Tommy did was put a hand on her shoulder...it made no sense. Maybe that's why it stuck in my head for the rest of the day, I don't know, but it did. And I wanted to know what was up.

**

Lunchtime came and went, as did dinnertime. Only then did Tommy and Jamie leave. I had a feeling she didn't like me -- hell knows why. Then curiosity overcame me -- I had to know what was up with Spencer.

"I'm going out!" I called to my family, then closed the door and crossed the road. It was dark out, but there was no light in any of Spencer's windows. I knocked on his door, with no answer. I tried it, and it opened. I cautiously made my way upstairs and into where I knew his bedroom was. I opened the door, and saw a figure curled up next to the bed. Breathing deeply, I turned on the lights.

Spencer was sitting with his knees drawn up and his face pressed against his arms which were resting on his knees. I couldn't see his face, but I didn't need to -- I knew he was crying, or at least very upset. I knew he was a player, and arrogant, and annoying, and a pervert...but right now I didn't care.

I sat down next to him, and cautiously put my arm round his shoulders.

"Spencer?" I said quietly. Only then did he look up. He hadn't been crying, but he looked very shaken and upset. His brown eyes gazed into my blue ones, and at that point I saw not the arrogance and pervertedness of the school's biggest man-whore -- I saw pain, hurt and loss.

"J-Jess?" he said in a scarily small voice. Spencer was loud and proud, not some quiet little geek at the back of the class.

"What's the matter?" I asked, a little foolishly. Comfort first, then questions, you dolt, Jessica.

"I - never mind. It doesn't matter." His voice was louder and more like it's usual self now. I sighed and looked at the floor.

"Is it because of-"

"No." How did he know what I was going to say? I looked back into his eyes, my arm still round his shoulders...and then he smirked.

"Aha! So Little Miss Jessica does have feeling for the sexiest guy in school!" It took a moment to register. First he was upset, needed comfort and looked on the verge of tears -- and now he was his cocky self. I controlled myself into not slapping him as I withdrew my arm and stood up.