Historical Excerpts: The Isabeau Letters

From the Royal Correspondence of the Late Queen Isabeau —Dated 1100 ASf

My Little One,

You are a full moon from being born yet, but Markham has already set wagers in court that you are a boy because of how fiercely you kick in the womb. Yet I'm certain you are a girl! The king may laugh, but I've already commissioned the carving of a nesting doll of rare Camisian wood to celebrate your arrival. It is no ordinary toy—magiation has given the wood special properties. Place a letter within the hollow of any of the six dolls, and your message will appear within the others. Trust the secret of the nesting doll only to your closest confidantes as anyone may read the messages you hide within them. I shall enclose this letter within for the day you are old enough to receive my gift.

I cannot wait to call you "daughter"—or "son," if Markham is right! But he isn't.

With everlasting affection,

Your Mother

Uncatalogued Parchment —1115 ASf

Dear Mama,

I wish you were here. Estelle means well, but she's only ten years older than me and more sister than stepmother. I can't confide in her. She tries so hard to hide it, but I catch her shivering every time I enter the same room. Only Rose, sweet devil, doesn't care how cold I am! Nana scolded me yesterday for letting Rose hug me so long that her lips turned blue. I wonder if I'll ever learn how to embrace those I love without harm? Just once would be enough. I almost got my first kiss today. Almost, but I'll win it from him yet—even if I have to frost his ugly leather boots to the floor!

Love ever,

Snow

Uncatalogued Parchment —1118 ASf

Dear Isabeau,

It's taken me two years to find where Snow hid all six pieces of the nesting doll. Before her death, I kept hoping that she'd taken one of them with her and would write me a letter explaining everything, but all I found was a stupid note written to you. Your daughter was a rotten liar. Snow wouldn't have killed Father if she'd cared about any of us! I don't know why I'm writing this letter. You aren't even my mother, just another dead queen with a dusty portrait in the Heritage Hall. But you might as well be mine—my own mother is a stranger to me now.

I wish Snow had died instead of you at Hallowside. Then my mother never would've married Father, I wouldn't be born, but at least it wouldn't hurt so much when I wake up and realize how much is missing.

I'm going to burn the doll after I finish this letter.

Sincerely,

Rose Red

*SONG: "Momo's Song (Instrumental)" by Royaltyfree Pianomusic