Historical Excerpts: The Lethal Silver of the Wildershade

From the private correspondence of Albemar's Royal Family  —Summer of 1115 ASf

Dearest Father,

You're perfectly horrid and I hate you.

Sincerely,         

Rosavere

P.S. I'm just as much a Leonesse as Snow, so why does she always get to go with you to the Wildershade while I must stay and practice my rotten needlework with Nana Lune? It's not fair! I want to search for the Burning Lake, too. I know the Albemarian Chronicles claim that the tree growing at the lake's heart only bore one apple before withering, but my name is also Rosavere, so maybe . . . maybe there will be an apple for me?

Silly Rosy-girl,

The forest of the fallen star is no place for a child. While it's true that our Leonesse blood shields our minds from the torment of fantasias, there are other perils. The trees of the Wildershade shift their roots and change the paths with the whim of a breeze. The beasts are brutishly strong and do not suffer trespassers in their woods easily. You're so small that no doubt a mole rat would gobble you up for a midday meal! But make sure you mind your mother and Nana Lune and perhaps I'll bring you back a gift far better than any mealy old apple. Even a common sparrow's plume turns silver here.

Most affectionately,

Your Horrid Father

To her Royal Sulkiness, Rose Red—

Instead of pouting because you were left behind, why don't you pester Micah to show you where the wild peach trees grow on Talia hill? I've never dared go to see them for fear of frostbiting the buds. But their fruit should be fat and ripe now. And if you eat enough peaches to grow at least a head taller, I bet I can convince Father to let us explore the Wildershade together next summer. I promise!

Love,

Snow White

SONG: "The Forbidden Forest" by Alex Hoff