Vamp! II - Chapter 5

Chapter 5 - The Green Army Marches Silently, and...

-----

'It' had already infiltrated the island.

It crawled into the island's depths, spreading its hands wide and thin.

And at this very moment, it opened its fists and reached out with its fingertips.

It was as though it was seeking to grasp something.

<=>

The front gates of Waldstein Castle.

"Mr. Mayor! A word, please. Are you visiting for the purpose of inspecting the site of the festivities?"

"Yes, that's correct. Waldstein Castle is already our island's pride and joy, but I'd wanted to personally examine the area to make sure that visitors to our island will not be disappointed."

"Thank you, sir. We have quite a few reporters coming in from overseas; do you have any words for them?"

"Yes. As a resident of Growerth, I hope that the man known as Carnald Strassburg will inspire you to learn even more about the history and culture of our island. And rest assured that we will spare no effort in making your experience a memorable one."

The suit-clad man being interview by the reporter flashed a practiced smile at the cameras.

The area before the castle gates were packed and lively, and there were many news correspondents and their cameras dotting the crowds.

The courtyard, usually a place of solemn majesty, was today decorated with all sorts of trimmings. Spotlights were being set up one after another to illuminate the garden. Although the rehearsal had taken place several days ago, the lights had been taken down temporarily so that they would not get in the way of decorating the rest of the courtyard.

The castle, where Strassburg had worked as the court painter, was a treasure trove filled with his many works. This garden was also one such creation, and it was usually opened to the public.

The garden was clearly made to look pleasant, but it radiated a sense of energy rather than tranquility. Because the festival organizers knew this well, they were bringing the extravagant lights to illuminate the castle--the center of the festivities.

The party was not exclusive to the castle, however. The people living in the city were also hard at work preparing for the festival. Shops, streets, and harbors were all decorated to match the celebration.

The entire island was swept up in the excitement preceding the festival. Everything was leading up to the climactic opening ceremony that would take place tonight.

But one of the reporters came up to the man in the suit and asked a rather downbeat question.

"There's been reports about a commotion that took place in the harbor just earlier, sir..."

"...? I'm sorry to say that I haven't been told of anything of the sort. But I will confirm it as soon as I can. We're doing everything in our power to make this a safe Carnale Festival, so I'd like to ask each and every person on this island to take care to make public safety a priority." The man in the suit said, and walked into the castle with his secretary in tow.

Once he was certain that no one else had followed them inside, he took out a pair of sunglasses from his pocket and replaced his glasses with them.

"...Shit. What's this about the harbor? Hey. Call the cops and look into it." He said to his secretary as he strode into a corner of the castle.

He stepped past a 'no entry' sign without so much as a moment of hesitation. Suddenly, someone appeared before him.