Vamp! III - Chapter 3 F

Waldstein Castle Parlor.
As the castle was engulfed in the singers' music and the cheers of the audience, a group of monsters--the creatures who truly ruled the castle--were in a discussion about the current situation.
"Yes. And?"
<It's no good. I managed to shoot down a couple Branches, but I don't even know where to start looking for the Trunk.>
In the crowded parlor occupied by maids, werewolves, and even a sentient pool of blood, the Asian guest--Aiji Ishibashi--was receiving a report from his brother via phone.
Bridgestone, the younger of the twins, had come across several more Branches whom he knew by appearance. But Sigmund's main body, known as the Trunk, was still nowhere to be found.
<There's no point torturing the Branches or taking hostages. Sigmund can regenerate them without even breaking a sweat.>
"Damn it. Is Caldimir the only one who knows what the Trunk looks like?"
<Laetitia probably knows, too. But her phone's been busy for a while, and now she's out of the service area.>
"Understood. For now, you should go around and try to find Melhilm. I'll try and find a way to stop Rudy and Theresia."
With that, Ishibashi hung up on his brother and walked over to the viscount in the middle of the room.
Once Ishibashi was next to the sofa, the viscount (who had returned to the parlor at some point) wrote in the air in a sombre font:
[It seems... That things may become quite troublesome from here on out.]
Apparently, the viscount had exchanged greetings with Ishibashi before the latter's phone call. He dove straight into the topic at hand.
[Ah, to think that Sigmund would come to Growerth! Speak of the devil and he will appear, they say--'說曹操, 曹操到'.(1)]
Writing out his thoughts in a considerate combination of Chinese characters and German, the viscount connected the ends of his sentences as though crossing his arms.
[Sigmund is a vampire who possesses twelve bodies. Capturing eleven Branches will be of no use if you cannot find the one at the center of them all.]
Sigmund Kiparis had been an officer of the Organization even when Gerhardt was still a part of the group, and was a fanatical follower of Caldimir. This vampire was capable of subjugating organisms through airborne infection, but this was not all.
Sigmund's identity was that of a vampire composed of twelve different bodies.
Though the bodies were separate, they shared a singular mind through airborne blood. And as such, they were capable of acting in many different places at once. The main body, known as the Trunk, controlled the others--known as Branches.
One ruler, eleven generals, and the infinite soldiers they created. This why why Sigmund was known by the moniker of 'The Green Army', and was designated one of the Organization's most powerful weapons.
[Hm... If only we knew where we could find the Trunk, Dorothy and I could go to convince Sigmund in person.]
Snow incarnate nodded firmly alongside the viscount. But Ishibashi frowned slightly.
"It would be best if words were enough to convince Sigmund. But he would place Caldimir's orders above his own life."
Ishibashi did not stop there. He worriedly glanced at his old friend and respected mentor, the bloody viscount.
"And... There are people here who should worry you more than Sigmund."
[...Those connected to Theodosius. Of course... I was prepared for their coming, but to think it would be at a time like this...]
"...So he's here? The mass murderer?" Ishibashi asked, not bothering to soften the truth. But the viscount put his efforts into doing what Ishibashi did not bother with.
[...Perhaps he is indeed here, in a sense. Theodosius does exist, but the mass murderer you speak of is no more. Not in this castle, nor anywhere in this world. Only the sins left in his wake remain as a reminder of his existence.]
Mage and the other familiars were confused by his statement, but Ishibashi had known the viscount for long enough to understand what he meant.
"That sin is the most important part, sir. It is true that the Organization has no qualms with leaving him be, so long as he does not cause us any more trouble." He said. But Ishibashi then shook his head and continued:
"But Rudy and Theresia will not agree with our decision."
[I also understand.]
The viscount's reply was remarkably grave. The maids and the werewolves tensed at the sight,
[And yet... I cannot let pass the fact that my beloved daughter Ferret and my good neighbor and subject Mihail were so grievously injured.]
Was it anger or sadness filling his words? Or was it an impersonal weight of responsibility he held as the lord of Waldstein Castle? No one could read his expression, and a heavy silence fell over the parlor.
It seemed as though the stillness would last forever, but Mage finally made to spur the conversation forward and turned to his fellow Asian with a forced smile.
"B-but there are three officers of the Organization present! I can't speak for this Theodosius character, but couldn't you, perhaps... do something about the one called Sigmund?"
"...If we ignore the well-being of the islanders, yes."
The coldness in Ishibashi's answer led the viscount to hurriedly join the conversation.
[Your ignoring their well-being would be most troubling. I shall gladly bow my head and entreat you, as the former governor of Growerth--I ask that the people of the island not be harmed.]
Though surprised by Gerhardt's show of responsibility, Ishibashi accepted his plea instantly.
"That's precisely why we're here today, sir. Although I'm somewhat worried about my brother." He smiled in an attempt to calm Gerhardt, and chuckled cynically. "If we were intent on ignoring their safety, we would have brought along Black or Gold from the beginning."
[Of course. Indeed, you are correct.]
Once Ishibashi named two colors that belonged to officers of the Organization, the viscount seemed to sigh in relief as he remembered his old friends.
[I still speak to Garde over the internet almost every day. I suspect that this friend of mine could easily overpower even Sigmund's endless armies. After all, the Black Gravekeeper only grows stronger in the presence of the dead.]
<=>