CHAPTER 2

2 YEARS AGO

Elara (16 years old)

I huffed and kicked the rock with force.

Fuck school! Fuck that fucking bully and fuck everything!

When I reached the rock I kicked it again, this time harder, trying to concentrate all my strength in this shot.

The rock went overdrive and catapulted towards an old, red car that had been parked there for the last year.

If that motherfucker decides to touch me again, I'll cut his balls off and-

"If you hit my car one more time with that rock of yours, I'll need to hit yours with your fucking head."

I clenched my fists and turned around to look at Mr. Sanders, an old widow that spent too many days of the year at home since his beloved died. I took a deep breath calming down.

"I'm sorry, Mr.Sanders." I whispered only for him to hear. "I don't have a car tho."

"As you should be, young lady, if you kick that rock harder you'll make a dent in the fucking floor, what you so mad about?" he replied ignoring my remark.

"Just things in school-"

"I'm sorry, did it look like I gave a damn? Don't hit my car again and get home safe before the streets get any darker."

"I can take care of myself, asshole." I replied, crouching down and taking a hold of the rock before 'accidentally' leaning on his car to stand up.

He sighed. "I know but that don't mean you have to put yourself in danger to prove it. This neighborhood is dangerous, especially when you are looking for trouble-"

"I'm not looking for trouble-"

"Your eyes tell a different story. You have so much anger inside you that you just don't know what to do with it, but looking for problems just brings more problems. Your sister- I mean, Martha must have told you that, or maybe not since rumor has it she's been fucking him."

My blood boiled. "You don't know a thing about her so don't talk like that about my sister. Maybe pissing people off isn't the right way to get rid of my anger. But since you are the one attacking me I might just bite back."

"Go home, child. I don't want a problem with you or your stupid family. God knows that your sister is as dumb as that rock you have for bringing that monster to our home. Nobody wants to die. So the only ones bringing problems are yourselves. Hit my car once again, give me another reason to talk ill about you to the others, let's see how much time you've got left here."

My skin crawled at his tone. I would be stupid if I weren't going to take his threat seriously. I'm sure everybody hated us by now and I wouldn't blame them. I'd be angry at someone too if they brought death to my home.

Taking a step away from his car, I kept my stare on him. "It won't happen again, Mr. Sanders, it was an accident. I'm sorry."

He leaned on the doorstep, his lifeless alcohol stained blue eyes lazily stared me down. "You are a clever girl, Elara. Don't end up like Martha, don't let emotions control you. Be smart, that's the only option you'll have to escape the devil, if you still have a slight chance of escaping him that is."