Water

Kaito always had a slight faible for water. It was fresh, his favorite drink and it was clear. As clear as a diamond? Perhaps this was a good metaphor. But that it would save lives?
He found the answer once his oh so annoying detective Hakuba splashed a full load at him during a heist.

Hakuba couldn't bear it. KID's scream, his pokerface shattered, utter horror occupying his face. He grabbed himself a bucket of water and poured it over the trembling thief, it was the only thing he knew for sure could release the thief out of Spider's net.
Too often he had found himself captured in Spider's claws. His illusions were magnifying, horrifying and unable to escape from. Since years he had been after this assassine and even had managed to discover his identity, he tarned himself as the illusionist Gunter von Goldberg. Heck, he even had a small spider tattoo on his eye!
But real evidence? No.
Hakuba never was able to catch Spider and that frustrated him to the point of sleepless nights. He had followed him from country to country, visited his shows as illusionist, yet found himself captured over and over again by his hypnotic abilities.

Original he had planned to use the Kaitou KID as bait for the slippery assassine. Who could be more perfect than an uncatchable thief to bait an uncatchable assassine? Spider targeted KID and wanted his death but Hakuba had trust that KID would stay alive.

But now...

A trembling bundle stood in front of him, shaking in fear with his eyes fixed onto the black costume of Spider. His wet clothes stuck to his skin, showing things which weren't too appropriate; he had never seen the smug magician so vulnerable.
Spider was gone, he had escaped once again. It was him and KID on top of the cold roof, icy wind whipping his opponent. He couldn't arrest him. Not like this. KID... almost made a traumatized impression. What did he see? What was it that Spider tortured him with just seconds ago?
His hair stuck to his forehead, all wet and messy, Hakuba swallowed. Why did his heart thump so fast? His mind started to blur, he couldn't focuse at all, heat slowly made its way through the panting detective's body. The chase had been hard up towards this roof, it must have been that.

Hakuba hesitantly inched forward, approaching the trembling creature like a scared animal which could shy away any second. No, he didn't want to let him go like this. No matter uncatchable or not, he couldn't bear to see him like this. Slowly, gently, he took off his jacket and placed it on the Kaitou's shoulders, warming him by wrapping his arm around him.
"...T-tantei-san, I-"
"No," Hakuba silenced the thief, his hand reaching up to lean his head onto the slightly taller detective's shoulder to relax him, "quiet. Nakamori-keibu is still busy and you need to get dry. And warm. Or do you want to become sick?"
Quietly, the thief shook his head. He looked relaxed, Hakuba noted, but his shoulders kept stiff muscles and the Kaitou looked like ready to throw a smoke bomb and disappear. What could he do to ease the thief? Hakuba eyed the male with curiosity, he looked younger than he had expected him to be. Maybe his suspicions were correct and he really dealt with his classmate Kuroba Kaito.

"KID..." he quietly began, unsure wether his invitation would be shoven off, "...you look like you deal with a serious case of shock... would you care to join me on a cup of hot chocolate?" He knew for sure Kuroba liked anything with chocolate in it. But... what did he even expect of that? Why did he even want to coax the thief into spending time at his?
"...a gentleman never denies a-an invitation, I guess."
"That's fine, but at least let me-" Hakuba paused in midsentence, his eyes snapping wide open. "Y-you really want to? How... unexpected." "Should I leave, then?" was the cocky answer. Looked like KID slowly regained his cool.
"No, stay. Baaya waits downstairs... I'm sure we can smuggle you to my car." The Kaitou waved his troubled expression off with a chuckle, and with a snap of his fingers instead of a white costume a police uniform covered his body. And the disguise? A face of any random police officer you could imagine. Hakuba knew he shouldn't but he felt somehow proud.

Inside the car Kaitou KID released his tensed muscles and leaned back into his seat, his eyes closing for a short moment.
"How do I explain this honor of your invitation? It surprises me you didn't drop me off at Nakamori-keibu's."
Hakuba fell silent and turned to watch the cars pass outside. Why?
"Uhm... I am not so sure myself. Perhaps detective instincts? It isn't very gentlemanalike to leave a person in distress alone with troubles."
A chuckle emitted from his side and he turned to face the amused expression of the magician.
"My, I am flattered. Courting me, detective~?"
Hakuba fought the urge to blush as he digested the accusation. No, he shook his head with a huff.
"Don't get cocky KID."
"Of course, that waits until your bedroom."
"KID!" the embarassed teen scolded, only to be silenced by the strict cough of the eldery lady on the driver's seat.
"Gentlemen, I would like to drive without the incredible distraction of you two."
Muttering some not very polite words he gazed back out of the window, trying to ignore the uncomfortable silence inside his car.

Only a few minutes later Hakuba returned to the thief with a cup of selfmade hot chocolate, two marshmellows floating on the surface. The thief had made himself comfortable inside his living room, huddled up on the couch with a new share of clothes. Of course, a little too big since Saguru was a little broader than the phantom. Yet, the monocle and top hat remained in place.
"Thanks," murmured KID and took a gentle sip of the warm liquid, allowing Hakuba to let himself down next to him with another cup of brown gold.
Hakuba knew he shouldn't ask what Spider had shown to him, the torture he must have faced. The silence now was comfortable... Just two teens enjoying their time together, relaxing around each other without the common cat and mouse game.
His heart skipped a beat at the thought of being alone with the KID right now.

And perhaps this small accepted invitation could evolve someday into something more.