Damsel in Distress 2

"...You worry about me," Hakuba finally stated, his lips curling up into a mocking smile. KID froze and blinked twice and Hakuba's smug expression fell, too, right afterwards. His gaze lasted upon these unfair long and thick eyelashes of the Kaitou.
Wait.
Since when did he get affected by KID's eyelashes? The young thief pulled his hat a little down and his eyes disappeared below the white fabric. Good.
"I wouldn't be a gentleman thief if I wouldn't look out for my critics, too~"

Kaitou KID picked up his work again of untying the detective while said one watched him.
"...when are they going to wake up? You didn't use the usual sleeping gas," Hakuba asked, his eyes flickering over to the passed out kidnappers.
"Oh, they will wake up in a wonderful prison cell. A great magic trick, isn't it?" came the amused answer behind him and Hakuba froze.
"You are avoiding the question. Why aren't you going to tell me?"
Silence. Hakuba didn't like that at all. What was about to happen? First of all, KID did come and save him. He couldn't have found out where Hakuba was being held on his own, following a car with a hangglider was close to impossible. In conclusion, somewhere on Hakuba's body was a tracker.
But how did KID manage to install it there? Not even Kuroba Kaito was able to sneak up on the London detective. The only possible moment was when...

"You."

KID acted unfazed by the accusing tone inside his voice but Hakuba noticed the tiny slip up in his body language.
"You attacked me with the sleeping gas. And while you held your little show you had me stored somewhere, just to take me with you later on. You didn't know when I would come to my senses since you had tested your new sleeping gas on me and thus, installed a small tracker on me, just in case I would hide the collar from you. In conclusion... the tracker is on the collar."
He made a short pause to give KID room for any objections yet his thief remained quiet.
"But someone else found me and kidnapped me instead because they didn't get the collar off of me. You were able to find me because of the tracker. You used your new sleeping gas on them, too. That's the reason you can't tell me when it's going to wear off. Because you missed the point where I woke up and fastly calculated the time to be enough for them to wake up in the police's hands. Greed is your motivation, isn't it? Ropes aren't a hindrance for you, you could have freed me since long if you wanted to. But you never planned to do so. Because you want to abduct me."

KID chuckled behind him and stopped to move.
"Impressive deduction, Tantei-san. And almost to hundred percent correct. Yet something is amiss, don't you think so?"
Hakuba made a pleased noise at the back of his throat. Right.
"Precisely. You warned me about your next move. This doesn't fit in at all, an unconcious me would have played right into your hand. So why?"
KID raised himself again and Hakuba noticed he wasn't tied onto the chair any longer and his legs could move freely, too. Yet his bindings on his arms remained and to be honest, he wasn't surprised about it.
"Because, Tantei-san... The whole situation has never been about the collar. I don't want it."
Hakuba blinked twice, surprised. That was something he definitely hadn't seen coming.
"What was it about, then? Enlighten me."
KID smiled and gave Hakuba a gentle push to help him raise himself, then turned him around to untie his arms.

"The idea to wear the collar came from Nakamori-keibu, right? But that wasn't all. A few men of his task force planned to leash you like a dog, too, and to chain you down onto a podium on all fours so I wouldn't be able to take you with me at all. They wanted to use Nakamori-keibu's absence to humiliate you for being such a 'smartass' to think you're better than them."
Hakuba began to tremble. Wearing a dog collar to protect it was one thing but being chained down like an animal really was under his niveau.
"W-with all those reporters and cameras... Oh god... My whole reputation including my father's would have been ruined..."
KID nodded and took a step back; Hakuba immediately flexed his arms and turned to look at his savior.
"You... you attacked me to save me..."
"Indeed. And now I would like to abduct you to your house~"
Hakuba took a step back to get some distance between them. KID had saved him from utter shame and now from criminals. He knew it was KID's selfproclaimed duty and yet it made him feel sheepish. Like a damsel in distress? Something like that.
"...I wouldn't feel opposed to some company on my way home," he admitted and KID bowed.
"It would be my pleasure."

The young thief began to move and Hakuba followed him, relaxed. He knew KID had already called the police and thus, for today, he was finished.
"By the way..." KID ripped him out of his thoughts, "I stole the unsticking substance, too. Do you want to get it off?"
"Certainly. But please, first at home. I do not want to risk loosing it."
KID chuckled and led him to a black car, then opened the backdoor for him and Hakuba slipped inside. Hakuba's father sat on the driver's seat but the detective knew it was KID's assistant.
"Why do you have a costume of my father?" Hakuba asked the thief who got in next to him, amusement hidden in his voice.
"I like to be prepared for any case."
The halfbrit kept his eyes on KID almost the whole drive. The morning light gave a better view onto his featues and yet, the KID made sure to keep his face in the shadows.

The car parked in front of the Hakuba manori and said male seemed surprised as KID accompanied him to the front door in full costume.
"Well, then, I must-"
"Wait, please. I never got to thank you for this. Please, come in for a cup of tea, I have some cookies left, too. My father isn't home this week and Baaya won't return until midday."
KID looked uncertain for a moment but finally showed a charming smile.
"I would be rude to deny a detective's invitation."
He waved shortly at his driver who understood and left, then followed the young detective into his domain.

What was he to deny an invitation of his true love?