11

Chapter 11: Food

Paul stared at Ringo and John through George's bedroom window. They were sitting on the grass, and it appeared as though Ringo was talking. About what though?

"Apparently Ringo is teaching him magic spells." Came the answer in the form of George, who's been outside just moments ago. "Isn't that gear? I wish I could learn magic."

Paul sighed, "Well, John is a siren."

George scoffed, "Yeah, I know that, ta, mate." The younger kid frowned, "You good? Ever since Ringo arrived you've been...tense."

Paul shook his head, "You wouldn't understand." He knew he was being rather rude but he didn't care at the moment.

The guitarists let out an unimpressed breath, "Would it have anythin' to do with John thinking he might have enchanted you to luv him, or somethin'?"

Paul turned abruptly away from the window, "You talked to Ringo?"

George shook his head, "To John." He answered.

The human frowned, "What did he say?"

His younger friend sighed, "Somethin' about you not really loving him, him being a monster..." He raised an eyebrow, "Y'know something about this?"

Paul swallowed, "Yes." He uttered, his voice hollow. He turned back to the window, John and Ringo were standing now with John holding his hands to his throat.

George walked closer to him, "I told him that was nonsense, said I'd never seen you act like y'act with him."

Paul winced, what did George mean? That Paul acted like he was in love? Or like he was under a spell?

George looked down, "He looked terrified, horrified, more like. Is Ringo gonna help him?"

Paul sighed, "Let's hope so."

John was exhausted, he'd never practiced magic before an it took its toll. Ringo had taught him a few basic siren spells to get the magic going: manipulating the breeze, enchanting his voice to sound higher or lower(sirens used this so that they could easier enchant any person), and 'mild' mind control. Ringo called it mild, John begged to differ when he was able to make Paul's cat run up a tree from which he nearly fell to his death. He didn't like it. He liked the idea that he might have Paul under that kind of spell less.

He and his gardener friend entered the kitchen to find Paul making some weird smoking dish. John moved to sit down near a corner so he could keep on avoiding Paul, while Ringo happily exclaimed "Eggs!"

John's head snapped up, Paul was cooking what? Where humans cannibals? They ate their own unborn children? He could never imagine Paul doing something so horrible.

George saw his expression and frowned, "You alright, John?"

John looked at him, "You eat your own?" He had to ask.

George frowned harder as Ringo burst out laughing, Paul was frowning as well.

Ringo spoke, "Humans don't have eggs, John. Paul's cooking an animal, they're chicks."

John tilted his head, "Chicks?"

"Unborn chicks." George explained, "Obviously."

Paul continued, "We buy them at the market, they're, um, made by chicken. Birds."

John nodded, he'd heard of chickens. Stu had a painting of a chicken in his cave, though John could never figure out why.

"It's like when we eat fish, John." Ringo said.