7 ∘ Everglow

chapter seven

chapter seven.
❝ 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲'𝘀 𝗮 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲
𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗶'𝗺 𝗶𝗻 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗱𝗼𝘄. ❞

∘◦ ❉ ◦∘

𝗮𝗻𝘅𝗶𝗲𝘁𝘆 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 !

"The truth is very few people have been survived as long as you are, Crystal," Doctor Blake spoke as he offered a glass of water to the girl. "In your case, it was trauma, then it turned to sepsis. How did that happen? Well, anything can happen."

Eyeing the glass emptily, Crystal blurted out. "Pigs can't fly."

"Logically, they can. If they have prosthetic wings made by human's hands."

A glimmer of hope eclipsed on a dime within her, the girl made no movements, but her eyes kept a million sentiments hidden. It was clamorous and clear that her solid facade was undoubtedly fragile, each layer had corroded and it was merely a matter of time until it literally perished into fragments of numbness.

Crystal couldn't deny the statement because she knew there was truth reclining beneath it. Trailing her gaze downward, Crystal absentmindedly nibbled her bottom lip, her fists clenched against the fabric of her shirt. "How, um, how much time do I have left?"

"Late mortality is strongly influenced by the risk factor for this syndrome, sepsis patients have a 6-fold greater mortality rate than trauma patients. It's a major determinant of long-term survival after the syndrome. The observations that sepsis reduces long-term survival when compared with trauma is consistent with the observations of reduced long-term survival in other sepsis cohort studies." The explanation spilled out of Doctor Blake's lips and with the deterioration of her present condition, perhaps letting it just fleeting away from her ears was fair-minded. Doctor Blake noticed it and huffed a little, taking off his glasses. "I say you don't have much time left, Crystal because your lungs have also started resisting the treatments."

"What about pulmonary rehabilitation?" Crystal knew the answer to her question, but it wouldn't hurt anyone if there was a slightest of denial in her. "Can it extend my life time?"

"Unfortunately, you cannot be considered a strong candidate to do that." Doctor Blake responded as a sad smile graced his lips. "There is no point in wasting your already fragile lungs for a hopeless case."

Even though Crystal got wind of how life worked, there was a distinctive sorrow that lodged within her because she knew that her time in the world was dreadfully limited. In a planet of many souls, she was the one who had to abide by the callousness of fate, becoming the beginning and the end of the affliction for her loved ones.