Chapter One

Though I had been longing to read it, the volume of Charles Dickens' Great Expectation in my hand failed to hold my attention for more than a few moments. I frequently found myself staring out the window at the dark street. How long would it be before Mr. Holmes found my Hosmer Angel?

I'd heard Mr. Holmes could solve a mystery in minutes, though of course, I couldn't expect such immediate results this time. Still, it had been a day already and I was eager to hear what had become of my beloved Hosmer Angel. What had taken my husband-to-be away from me? When would he return?

"Mary Elizabeth Sutherland, must you keep sighing?" my mother said from across the room. "It really is grating on one's nerves."

"Sorry, Mother," I said, glancing over my shoulder. She had forbidden me to speak my love's name, so I quickly sought some reason to explain my mood. "Do you know when Father intends to return? Will we have to keep back supper for him?"

Mother glanced at the clock in some surprise, as though she hadn't noticed the hour. It was nearly seven o'clock, and usually, Father was home by six. "I'm sure he will be here soon enough," she said, her tone uncertain. "He mentioned he had an appointment to keep this evening."

With a nod, I returned my gaze back to the book. Though I had no idea what the words had contained, I turned the page. Though Mr. James Windibank was not my real father, I'd called him such at the behest of my mother. He was not many years older than me, but he made my mother happy so who was I to object? Stranger things had happened.

Earlier I'd had my work as a typist to distract me and keep me from thinking too much. Now, though, nothing seemed to be able to keep my thoughts from going around and around. Was my Hosmer unharmed? Was he thinking of me as I was of him?

Our romance had been a whirlwind and nothing I had expected to have in my life. Attending the gasfitters ball, despite my stepfather's disapproval, had been the best thing I'd ever done. Mr. Hosmer Angel's gentleness and quiet manners had appealed to me from the beginning, and it hadn't taken long for me to lose my heart to him.

"Mary!" Mother exclaimed. "You are sighing again. Do you have something on your mind that you wish to share?"

I wished I could tell her the truth; that I had spoken to Mr. Holmes and had entrusted the mystery to him. She had been so vehement about never hearing the name Hosmer Angel, though, I didn't dare. Instead, I simply said, "I'm hungry, Mother. It has been a long day."

Not for the first time did I wish for a friend, a confidante I could trust with my thoughts. My father, my real father, had always seemed to understand me, and of late, I had felt the lack of a listening ear.

My own isolated upbringing had kept me from making friends as I grew up. I had no friends my age, which was my own fault. Even though I learned to type, I'd never been a clever person and had often felt as though those more intelligent than I looked down on my meager talents.

"If your typing is so exhausting, perhaps you should consider giving it up," Mother said, her tone unsympathetic.

The idea of giving up my hobby made my heart skip a beat. I enjoyed the feeling of independence and knowing I could provide for myself if I needed to do so. But, I had my inheritance now, so perhaps my mother was right.

"You may be right," I said thoughtfully. "My inheritance can provide me anything I could possibly need."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mother stiffen. "What could you need?" she asked. "You have clothes enough and books to read. I hope you do not intend to spend the funds frivolously as some young ladies might."

"Of course not," I said, offended she would even think I would do such a thing.

"Dearest, your father and I know best what to do with the interest from your inheritance," Mother said, her tone becoming soothing. "Leave it to us, and we will take care of it all."