Chapter Three

Glenn drove past in a fast vehicle that had its alarm going off. Morales smirked a little bit and turned to Friendly who was in the passenger seat. “At least someone’s having a good day” Morales said with a smile. We pulled up after a while of a drive. I saw a group of people standing around Glenn and the damn loud race car. It was quiet now; they must have figured out how to shut the damn thing up. “Come meet everybody” Morales said after petting Friendly on the shoulder. Him meet everybody? More like me meet everybody.

“Amy! Amy!” Andrea said running up and hugging a blonde girl younger than she was. “Andrea!” Amy smiled back. “Mommy! Daddy!” Morales kids cheered as they hugged him. His wife came up and greeted him too. I stood back and watched. Who are these people? I saw a woman lead her son away from the family reunions… Something must have happened to their father, considering a man wasn’t with them. “Hey helicopter boy! Come say hello!” Morales called after Friendly who walked past me. “The guy’s a cop, like you” Morales said to a guy with shorter hair. Friendly pointed at the woman and son then hurriedly made his way over to them. “Dad! Dad!” the boy yelled and ran to Friendly who was on the verge of a breakdown. Friendly picked up the little boy and walked over to the woman and they had a massive hug. The woman looked shocked to see him.

So… Let me get this straight… Friendly tagged along the way after Glenn helped him out. We bring him back and as it turns out his family is camping with us… Happy reunion. I couldn’t help but wonder about my brother… Later on that day I “hung out” with Amy. Apparently she and I were close. Glenn explained to everyone that I fell down the stairs. “That’s not like you, you’re usually on your toes and very fast to reflexes” Dale said.

I had to learn everyone’s names again. Officer Friendly was Rick, his wife was Lori and their son was Carl. Shane was a cop too, and Rick’s partner when they were on the job together. Small world, isn’t it? Andrea and Amy were sisters. Dale always looked out for Andrea and Amy… He acted like he did to me as well a bit. Dale was a nice, kind older man. Carol was the woman with shorter grey hair but sweet kind eyes and soft voice. She had a husband whose name was Ed and they had a sweet little girl called Sophia. She looked so scarred and innocent… But a child that age surely would have been. Morales family; I missed their names. There was also a guy named Jim who was polite and always looked tired and depressed.

“Yeah well… I guess I was… I don’t know anymore” I said honestly. “Let’s go do some training then!” Amy smiled. I followed her. “Stay within shooting range!” Dale called after us. “Will do!” Amy called back. We stopped on an open plain of grass and dirt. “Get out your sword” Amy instructed. I did so. “Put it back and do it faster until you get the hang of it” she ordered. Amy was a lot like her sister. I learnt how to use my sword. I could dodge everyone like a ninja, move my arms around and slice heads off within an instant, stabbing was improved too with my dagger… Or “A wolf dagger” as Amy said. “You always got annoyed when I called it a dagger. You always insisted it was a wolf dagger” Amy smiled with a slight giggle. I was fast with everything.

We then worked on my aiming with my bow and arrow skills then with my throwing knives. “You always called these hawk blades” she smiled. “Did I ever tell you who gave them to me?” I asked. “Your father did. In fact your very name means hunter. It is spelt C-H-A-Y-S-E and you always had to repeat it to anyone who had just met you because they always asked, “Isn’t that a boy’s name” and you’d get annoyed after a while” she smiled. “Your father had a lot of “wicked hunting skill”, as you’d call it, and he showed you everything you know… You tried to teach me but I still suck” she laughed. I smiled; she was pretty nice. Later on we all gathered around for a campfire.

Rick explained about what it was like being in a coma and waking up to the new world. Amy was leaning her head on Andrea. I sat there with my arms around my knees. I looked around the circle and saw Shane staring at Lori intently; it was a little scary. “Hey Ed, wonna re-think that log?” Shane then asked as Ed placed a log on the fire. “I’m cold man” he said. “Cold don’t change the rules does it, keep the fires low to an ember so we can’t be seen from a distance” Shane said but Ed cut him off. “I said I’m cold, why don’t you mind your own business for once?” he argued. Shane was right on this one, Ed seemed stubborn and rude.