Chapter Five

During the day, Lori came and spoke to Andrea. I need to be alert. No time for listening in or curiosity anymore. I have a job to do, and this time, I won’t mess it up. A fire had started with all the guys burning the walker’s bodies. We were going to bury our loved ones… I’m going to save the loved ones left who are alive. I heard a gun load and I shot my head to see if anyone was in danger. All I saw was Rick stepping away from Andrea who had a gun pointed at him. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry” Rick mumbled walking backwards away from Andrea. No ones in trouble? Then back to work. “A walker got him! A walker bit Jim!” Jacqui announced.

I’ll let them handle that. I need to keep watch. I heard the boys arguing beside me holding weapons to one another’s heads. I rolled my eyes and went back to watch. Daryl was hitting some bodies with an axe in the head to make sure they didn’t come back, interested, I kept my eyes on him for a moment. I saw Carol approach in tears and ask him something. I then saw Carol hack away at her husband’s head… Ed was a jerk. Ed was a jerk that could have been saved! Guilt swallowed me and I kept walking back and forth, looking for anymore walkers. I heard Andrea mumbling something to Amy then a gunshot went off. I looked to Andrea to see she had just shot Amy in the head.

I saw Shane and Rick on the hilltop again where Jim was the other day. They were getting everything ready for the burial… Which everyone went to. “You should come” Dale said to me. “I know you don’t remember them… But we’re all still family” Dale said. I climbed down with a loud sigh and followed everyone up. I stood silently as loved ones were let down into their graves. Dale helped Andrea with Amy and I looked away. It’s my fault this is even happening. Lori was crying and holding Carl close. I didn’t bother to look around; feeling guilty enough. After that, we all headed back down to the camp where I took my place on watch again.

Lori and Rick were talking together, I looked around and behind them, no signs of danger yet. Carol was in the RV with Jim. I saw Lori and Rick make their way in there too. Damn it, Daryl and I seem to be the only ones with sense around here. You get bit, you turn. No medicine will cure that. I saw Carol and Lori leave the RV. I heard Jim cough vigorously from inside the RV. Maybe there will be some medicine… I’m just… I’m not in the right headspace right now. I heard Shane come argue with Lori like a controlling husband… Why does he do that? Is it because he kissed Lori? Like Carl had told me? I heard Rick come out of the RV and start to talk to the two.

I blocked myself out of it; trying to not be nosy. I then saw them all walk off in different directions including Dale. When was Dale even there? Whoa I’m definitely not in the right headspace. Shane and Rick left the camp with shotguns and Dale soon followed after. I would feel a lot more secure if Dale had gone in a group the first time. Dale has a gun, he’ll be alright. When all three came back we all gathered around a campfire. I stayed on the lookout still after getting a weird look from Dale. Though… He didn’t seem as though he was questioning my choice but more as though he was lost in his own head space contemplating something. Whatever it was he looked scared.

“Come on Chayse” Dale said. “Why? What’s happening?” I asked. “Wow you’re really behind aren’t you? Look at you!” Dale exasperated, “You look like you haven’t slept a wink in days” he said. “I haven’t” I mumbled. “Well we’re leaving for the CDC, the Centre for Disease Control” Dale explained probably because he saw a look of confusion on my face. “Oh” I mumbled and jumped down, heading closer to the RV door. “You’re not riding with Daryl?” Dale asked, confused. “Oh, right, uh yeah” I stumbled over my words. I walked over to his car to see him fiddling with his motorcycle in the back of the pickup truck.

“Can I ride with you?” I asked, “Duh dummy, don’t ye’ always? Climb in” he said, getting in. I got in the passenger seat and saw Daryl get in beside me. We drove for some time when Morales family drove another way. “Where are they going?” I asked. “They’re not comin’, said dey got family some’ere else” Daryl said, following the car in front. I leant my elbow on the windowsill and put a hand over my mouth as I looked out the window. I feel so horrible.