Chapter Seven

Janis' POV

"So, your girlfriend's not good at math, she MUST be gay!" Damien ranted. We were sitting in his room, chatting like normal.

"Just because she sucks at math doesn't mean she's into chicks, Damien," I scoffed.

"Yeah, but she told me she's gay. Therefore, gay." He squealed. I gasped, tumbling backwards in shock.

wHY THE FUCK DID HE START WITH "bad at math" WHEN SHE HAD LITERALLY COME OUT TO HIM?

"She TOLD you she's gay and you didn't tell me immediately?!" I whisper-yelled. I would have screamed, but she was right next door and could have even heard me. I wasn't planning on confessing anything anytime soon. Or anytime ever, frankly.

If she wanted she could see us right now. She and Dame has those cliche windows that were right across from each other so they could talk to each other without ever having to pick up the phone or come over.

"Well yeah, we were just texting and she brought it up and I called you over immediately after because of it. You're welcome," he said smugly. I slapped his arm.

"And you couldn't have told me over text?"

"It's big news, and big news deserves to be said face to face."

"I still would have liked a heads up. 'Hey, I have news about the girl you like, come over,' or something,"

"Well I'll do that next time,"

"There shouldn't BE a next time!"

"As if there won't be a next time, you forget how to speak when a cute girl compliments you."

"Untrue! I can talk around her!" I screeched indignantly.

"Hardly." He snorted, and keeled over laughing. Because yes indeed, he was this extra. What a fantastic bestie to have when you've got a hopeless crush on the new girl, huh?

"You're right, but can we just watch a movie? Like maybe Newsies LIVE or something?" I groaned. Damien perked up at that.

"Okay, I love that idea but you normally hate musicals. What's up," He demanded.

"I just thought it would be interesting," I said lamely. He flashed me a disbelieving look and a smirk grew on his face after a flash of realization.

"(y/n) likes musicals..." He whispered, grin stretching even farther. My eyes widened.

"Nononono! I'm not doing this for her! I'm doing that for you, dimwit! You like musicals too!" I argued too, hurriedly for him to believe I wasn't hiding something. He surely noticed because his face glowed, knowing he had even more teasing material.

Dammit.

"You wanna impress her, don't you? Watch a musical you know she likes, and then talk to her about it and bond."

"Ugh, can't you not call me out just this once?" I groaned, flopping over so my face fell into a pillow.

"Nope, it's my job as your best friend to call you out on all of your shit!" He giggled.

"Can we just watch the damn movie?" I snapped, just ready to immerse myself in something that was presumably good and interesting. He rolled his eyes.

"It's not on Netflix anymore, we've gotta pull up a bootleg. Gimme a sec," He took my laptop that I brought and opened tumblr to search for it, face scrunched together in deep concentration. I stared at his (almost constipated looking) face for a couple seconds, chuckling about how he stuck out his tongue ever so slightly, before my gaze was brought somewhere else.

Like a magnet, I was sucked into looking out the window without a second (or frankly, first) thought.

(y/n) sat at her desk, aligned perfectly with the window, and just sat, doing homework. Her brows her furrowed in concentration and a bit of frustration, and my heart ached a bit. Which was weird. I was supposed to just find her pretty and wanna kiss her, not get sad when her homework was hard. That was the job of a girlfriend and I was no girlfriend to her.

Still, I also felt my worries melt away at the sight of her. I could have easily gotten drunk just off the sight of her, now in an oversized and old t-shirt, with her glasses descending down the bridge of her nose.

She pushed them up and looked up for just a second, and my gaze quickly snapped back to Damien as heat bloomed in my cheeks, and the back of my neck felt itchy. Why me, of all people? Did Satan, or Cupid (same difference) really have to shoot me in the ass for the new girl? The really cute new girl who happened to be my best friend's neighbor?

Really?

"Earth to Janis," Speak of the devil, my bestie's voice snapped me back into the terrifying world known as reality.

"Sorry just... saw a bird." I assured, fidgeting with my hands that were rested on my lap. He nodded his head and I hoped for a second that he didn't believe I was chalk-full of lies today.

"And my ass is made of chicken, is she at her window?"

"Well yeah, but I wasn't staring! I just saw that she was doing homework and then the bird caught my eye. It was a cardinal, so it was super-" I couldn't finish my rambling because SOMEONE pressed a finger to my lips, shushing me.

"Let's just watch the movie, I got it pulled up, you absolute useless lesbian."

"I'm not a useless lesbian!"

"Seriously, there's a girl outside the window and you fumble out an excuse of a bird, you are hopelessly gay," he corrected teasingly.

"You have no right to talk, so you know how many times I caught you staring at Nik's ass," I scoffed. He gasped, pressing a hand to his chest.

"In my defense, he has a good ass," he continued the playful bickering before finally turning on the movie, which greeted us with a pretty instrumental track right off the bat.

(y/n)'s POV

I glanced up out my window for the thousandth time this minute, just taking in Janis' face as she was engrossed in some movie that she watched with Damien. I kinda wished I was there, instead of being text-coached at math by the loveliest Cady of them all.

I also wouldn't have minded Janis absentmindedly wrapping her arm around me and holding me close to her, pressing a gentle kiss to my temple-

What the hell was I even thinking?!

I didn't like Janis, I just met her. I didn't even believe at love at first sight, so this would never work. I hardly even knew the girl! Why did my life do this to me?

Was it to distract me from homework?

Because, I think it's safe to say that I was pretty distracted right now. How could I focus on whatever this was if I could instead stare at a cute girl.

I glanced down at my worksheet, then at my phone. Cady has texted me three times.

Caddy

Okay, so what's the next problem?

(y/n)?

Are you there?

I groaned and nodded, but that wouldn't do me much help. I decided to shoot her a text that I was tired and we'd finish the last two problems at lunch, and she agreed. I slowly packed everything up and put it in my backpack, casting on last long glance out the window.

I needed to sleep the day away.

(1236 words)