Change Your Mind

Everyone knew that Billy Hargrove was Hawkins High School's newest king. He was new, but he was instantly thrusted to the top of the social pyramid. His smoking habits, his seductive smirks, his bad attitude, and his charming words got him whatever girl he wanted.

Except for you.

You weren't into bad boys, you were more into guys who used manners and showed respect. Billy definitely did not fall into that category. On his first day at Hawkins he bumped into you in the hallway, causing you to drop your folders and all the papers inside.

Billy saw your beauty and gave you his signature smirk. "Oops," he drawled, his eyes piercing into yours.

You didn't fall for it, though. "Watch where you're going." You scooped your papers up and walked down the hall away from Billy. He just stood in silence, shocked about your reaction. His smirk worked on everyone; everyone but you.

After that encounter, Billy could not stay away. He would deliberately sit next to you in the classes you two shared and would run into you on purpose. He always tried to win you over with charming flirting, but you still did not fall for him like he expected.

You were different. Maybe that was why he couldn't stay away.

One of the reasons why you didn't like Billy was because you've seen him be rude to his little sister in the parking lot before. You had a little sister, and even though she could be a brat sometimes, you didn't treat her like the scum of the earth. A second reason why you didn't particularly like Billy was because he was mean to your friend Jonathan. People who are mean just to be mean bothered you.

To you, Billy was just another high school jerk who would grow up to be a nobody.

To Billy, you were a beautiful mystery.

It was Friday and school just ended. You always had movie nights with Jonathan, his brother, and his brother's friends every Friday night. Before the movie night would begin and the younger kids would arrive at the Byers' house, you and Jonathan would just hang out and listen to music. You two grew up together, so it was easy to waste hours doing absolutely nothing together.

Jonathan was waiting for you in the parking lot by his car. You were running late because you took an extra few minutes to help the art teacher clean up the art studio.

As you were walking out of the school towards the parking lot, you spotted Billy leaning against his blue Camaro, which was parked next to Jonathan's car. Billy seemed to be annoyed as he talked to Jonathan, but you couldn't make out his words from how far you were.

You hooked your thumbs in your jeans pockets as you neared the two.

"I-I was just taking a picture, I thought the lighting was really nice and-"

"Did I say you could take a picture of my car?" Billy asked, flicking his cigarette butt and stepping dangerously close to Jonathan.

"I'm sorry, I won't-"

"I don't care, just don't take a picture of my car, faggot. Don't come near it, or me, again."

You rose your brow and stepped next to Jonathan. Both boys glanced at you, Jonathan looking at you with relief.

"You know, it's kind of what photographers do, they take pictures of things," you told Billy with a sharp look.