The Car

I spent the rest of the summer babysitting and trying to get Nico Morgan out of my head. Then September came when Nico approached me asking about last summer, It surprised me because it was too late for talking. I thought that door closed for good. I guess some doors are meant to open again. As I sat in class we gave each other intense glares that spoke a thousand words. Then there she was, a young slim gorgeous girl with long wavy brown hair. Her name was Stacy Wentworth. The "it" girl of the college, the queen bee who everyone wanted to be. Even me. She had and gets everything that she wants because her dad owns the college and if she wanted someone out, they're out. No one could do something in the school without her knowing. Now you know that the people in the school with real power are the rich ones that can afford luxurious things. I was not one of them. Stacy was definitely this clichè mean girl, who picks on people for no reason at all especially the ones that talk, touch or even glance at her boyfriend. Nico Morgan. Why is he with someone like her? She's not good enough for him. I'm not good enough for him. She's the one who got in the way of our friendship and I'm the one who told him to never talk to me again. She was whispering in his ear about me, me of all people. Maybe she's right.
There was my friend, Emilio Apollo, waiting for me at our secret spot under the main building steps. He's originally from Italy, his family came here because his dad got a better job in the states. His family is super rich, and they basically own half of Italy. Why would a man move his family to the states, if Italy was so great? Now that I think about it I have never seen his family, why is that? That's what I always wanted to ask but I felt it wasn't my business. Emilio and I have been friends ever since freshman year of college, and he's the most important person in my life who has never switched on me.
"Kathy, did I see Nico Morgan just talking to you?" Emilio said.
"Shhhh!! Keep your voice down, it was nothing." I said.
"Girl if I saw you then everyone saw you, so don't tell me to be quiet."
"What do you mean by everyone?"
"Here she and her followers come now."
"I know this isn't my competition Stacy said with a sarcastic voice.
"There's no competition between the two of you, Kathy always is first pick." Emilio said.
I heard giggles behind me.
"Kathy doesn't need defending, she can speak for herself."
"I think Emilio got it right the first time." I said.
"Listen here you broke bit..." Stacy whispered
"What's going on here." Nico said interrupting her.
"Just having a conversation with my friends."
"I know for a fact that isn't true, so I'll ask again what's going on here."
"Nothing."
"It better stay that way because she's my friend."
"You and I both know that isn't true." Emilio said.
"I don't need you to defend me Nico and we aren't friends... anymore." I said.
"Baby, you can see she doesn't like you anymore, she never has." Stacy added
Nico looked at me.
"Stop." I said.
"Stop what." Nico said.
"You know what"
He looked away for a second, then bit his lower lip and looked at me.
He said in a low but commanding voice. "Tell me."
"Look h.... Never mind I should get to class."
He knew exactly what he was doing and it was inappropriate. I wasn't going to play his games. After school, I decided to catch a ride with Emilio. We rode in silence because I knew he knew what happened that summer. I didn't have to tell him, he just knew.
"Thanks." I said.
"No problem, what are friends for? He said, "I know he likes you and I also know you like him."
"No way."
"You should go for it."
"Night."
Moments later I got into the house and Nico texted me.
NICO: Come outside.
ME: No.
NICO: Fine, I'll come in.
ME: WHAT, NO!
NICO: Then come out.
I slipped on my shoes and headed out the door, to his car the place where this all started and ended. So I thought.
"WHAT!" I exclaimed.
"No Heys." Nico added.
"What do you want."
"Just to talk."
"We have nothing to talk about."
"I can't get you out of my head."
"Well I got you out of mine."
"I deserve that."
"I'm sor..."
He leans over and press his pink lips into mine. Again, I completely melted into his arms, never wanting to let go of him.
"Don't ever apologize because I should say sorry." Nico said.
" I can't." I replied.
I quickly got out and the car door slammed closed.
I thought, how could he do this to me again? I just wanted to forget him but I couldn't.