5 | Not A Chance

songs for this chap //

"Feel You Now" by the Driver Era

"Does He Know?" by One Direction

"Space Cowboy" by Kacey Musgraves

____________

I smiled at Ben as I took a sip of my water. We had just sat down to have dinner together, and I felt rather excited about it. I kind of seemed like maybe for the first time since Ross, I was ready to move on. Maybe I would be able to start over.

"So Laura, tell me about yourself." Ben said, after we had ordered. "Oh, well, there's not much to tell, if I'm being honest. I'm a singer and songwriter, but you already know about that." I said shyly, and he raised his eyebrow. "Actually, I don't really know about that. Care to enlighten me?" He asked, a playful smirk on his face. "I guess I could." I blushed, and then proceeded to tell him about my career.

As Ben listened to me, he seemed pretty interested, but once he started to lose his focus, I noticed he was paying attention to something to the left of me. "Laura, I hate to interrupt you, but isn't that the guy who was at dinner with us the other night?" Ben said casually, looking over in the direction he was focused on before. My heart sunk. I turned my head and sure enough, there was Ross and Rose, seated together, talking like they were childhood best friends.

Ross quickly noticed we were looking, and he flashed a flirty smile at us before tapping Rose's hand and pointing at us. Rose turned around and when she caught my eye, her face fell. Still, she politely waved at me and turned back to Ross, who had an amused grin on his face.

The nerve of that guy.

"I forgot to ask, how do you know Ross?" Ben asked casually as our food was set in front of us. I felt the air come out of my lungs, and I suddenly forgot how to breathe.

Oh, you know Ben, Ross and I fell in love years ago, broke up when I went away to college, and then three years later when I came back we got back together, and a year after that he proposed to me but then a year later he broke it off. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

But was I going to tell him that? Not a chance.

"Oh, we're just old friends. I know Rydel pretty well, and that's his sister so we've crossed paths a few times before." I said, trying to avoid the topic I hated discussing. Ben looked at me suspiciously. "You know, when you asked me to go to dinner with you for Rydel's birthday, I looked them up, because they sounded familiar. They're kind of famous, actually." Ben began, and my heart started to race.

"And, as it actually turns out, I think you're much closer to Ross than you recall." He said, raising an eyebrow. I looked down into my lap. "Ben, you have to understand that I hate discussing my past with Ross. It's called the past for a reason. I just want to move on." I said honestly. "Fair enough, but I think I deserved to know that you used to be engaged to the fucker." Ben laughed, and I felt the tension leave the air around us. "That's probably true. You did deserve that and I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just try to avoid it at all costs." I said truthfully.

"It's good. I understand. From what I read, you guys had a pretty up and down relationship." Ben smiled. "You don't know the half of it." I said, feeling myself releasing a breath of air I didn't even know I was holding in.

As we ate the rest of our dinner, I felt myself feeling more and more uneasy. Knowing Ross was in the same room as me made me feel like I was going to throw up. Eventually, I felt the sickness continue to rise in me, and I quickly excused myself to go to the bathroom. As I was walking, I saw a mop of brunette dyed hair in front of me, and I froze. Ross was walking right in front of me. I was right behind him.