Prologue

My name is Jupiter Greenberg and when I was 14 I watched my family die.

When I was 12 years old the first documented verial was found. People say it was the first, but I don't believe that. I believe that there are many, all hidden in the shadows. I believe that there have always been verials, since the beginning. Since the world was created.

Other people say that the verial wasn't even real, just a trick from the freak lab that dissected it's DNA. I don't believe that either though. The people where I live are scared of an unknown power. They are scared of the supernatural powers the verials have. They are scared that one day a verial will start their house on fire, or kill their children. I'm not scared though. I have no fear against them. I believe that most of them are good people, good people cursed with that extra gene. That extra gene that gives them supernatural abilities.

People also believe that the verials are made, or that the extra gene is genetic. I know those are both lies as well. The verial gene is random. Reaching one in every hundred thousand people. That gene is what gives them the single unique power, that no other person on earth has. I for one know that there is a man in Beijing with the power to control ice and cold. There is a woman in Sydney, Australia who can teleport up to one thousand meters away. 

                I also know when a verial is killed, and believe me, they are hard to kill. There are only a few things that can kill them. Each of them have a weakness. Someone they cannot lose. Once they are killed, they lose all their powers. They are no longer supernatural. They are left an empty shell. Verials without their powers are normal. Easy to kill, easy to hurt, yet so innocent. I know all this for a reason. I study them. I follow them. I travel the world tracking them, trying to find the evil ones.

                Three years ago a verial went bad. The verial had followed the shadows all the way to a small home in the country. There the verial had opened the door to meet a family eating dinner. The verial looked at the table between them, then she willed a fire to start. She looked around and turned away. She left that house and walked away, down the road. That was her mistake. She hadn't stayed to make sure the whole family died. She must not have thought about a miracle. She didn't notice the girl in the middle of it all crawl away without a scratch. She didn't realize someone had escaped. She sure as heck didn't know that girl was me, but she's going to realize a whole bunch, when I track her down and kill her.