III

"watch out!" carl shouts as ron throws a rock really hard over the wall, smashing three bottles of glass

"watch out!" carl shouts as ron throws a rock really hard over the wall, smashing three bottles of glass. "strike!"

they laugh before carl catches a rock and point it to the bottles left. right before he throws it a familiar voice appears, coming closely as the boys turn around.

"ron! is it you?" the girls walks slowly in their direction.

"it's enid. she's not my biggest fan. i'll be waiting for you inside the building." carl says, ron open his mouth to reply, but he knows it's useless. as he turns back to enid, she is very close.

"hi! you've been gone for days!" she hugs him as he hugs her back.

"i had to skip school for a couple days to take care of my brother."

"oh, shit. i'm so sorry things have to be like this." ron gives shoulders before walking with her to a swing near them. "y'know, it's good you have been off these days. school sucks, man."

"what happened?"

"nothing. it's just... things."

"tell me."

"ah..." she looks down to her own knees as she starts to swing slowly. "it's just my dumbass ex. he told everyone i slept with you."

"that's bad. nobody wants to sleep with the weirdo."

"don't say that, you're not a weirdo. you're my friend."

"you have a terrible taste in friends... and boyfriends."

"hey! he wasn't a completely asshole back then."

"lie. i always said he was an idiot."

"yeah... i should hear you more often." she laughs softly. "anyway, what were you doing here in our hideout this late?"

"you tell me. why are you here?"

"glenn and maggie are off to travel. baby hershel had a consultation out of town. it's pretty shitty to be alone in that enormous house."

"i see. you never liked being alone."

"no. not really... hey, maybe you should come to a sleepover. what do you think?"

"oh, i don't know..." ron laughs nervously.

"c'mon, it would be fun! i have pretty cool videogames. we could drink wine and eat cheetos all night."

"that would be awesome, but-"

"there's a but?" she asks.

"yes, i mean... it wouldn't be cool to leave carl all alone. he's pretty upset about his dad and all. i can tell."

"is carl here?" enid gives him a worried face. "you're hanging with him again?"

"don't do the face" he begs. "you know i care about him. he cares about me. i'm sorry, i can't choose between you two."

"well... i guess i could never compete with him."

"that's not what i'm saying."

"i should probably go" she says standing up. "i have a long night to spend all alone. be careful with him." she squats to give him a kiss in the cheek. "please take your medicines, ron." she advises before leaving.