VI

ron could feel the sand stick on his hair when carl switched positions, making they both roll over the surface to be on the top, his curly hair falling over ron's face when he moved away.

"this is nice" the anderson said. "can we do it again?"

"i don't see a reason not to." carl larks, moving in to kiss him again. they spent half an hour just kissing and laughing together. ron thought it couldn't get better.

"no, seriously" ron stops, they're laying down side-to-side now. "why on heaven and earth have we never done this before?"

carl stops laughing suddenly, turning at him with a confused expression.

"we did..." he says spontaneously.

"no we didn't." ron replies. "i'm sure i'd remember something like this."

"ron... we did it. two years ago in the train station. you... you kissed me."

"are you kidding?" he gets up, turning at him with a questionable expression. "why would you say that? it's been a year we know each other."

carl opened his mouth to answer, but closed it instantly. he took a deep breath and something about him made he look gloomy.

"you're right, i'm sorry" he apologizes touching his own forehead. "it was someone else. i'm confused."

"it's okay. we can create new memories to refresh your mind." he said trying to get closer to give him another kiss, but carl deviate. "you're ok?"

carl nods.

"sure, i'm just... cold. i think i wanna go."

"now? but we just-"

"seriously, we should go." he recommends. "i'd like to sleep in the building with you, but judith is waking up in the middle of the night and she cries when i'm not around."

"it's fine. family first."

carl touches his hair softly as he looks at him.

"are you going to be ok with yours?" he asks.

"well... i can't promise you that. but i'll try not to make a mess."

carl smiles at him, giving him confidence. he takes his hand and helps him getting up so they can leave the beach and walk home together.