VIII

"if i have three apples and i give you one, how many apples i have lef-"

"two!" judith answers pointing two fingers up. carl hands her two plastic apples and smiles.

"that's right. what if i add two more apples, how many apples i have?"

judith thinks a little.

"four?" she answers insecure, carl smiles and hugs her.

"that's right. you're so smart, judy. mom would be so proud of you."

the blonde girl hugs him back, feeling her brother kiss the top of her head.

"where's mommy?"

"michonne is downstairs making lunch."

"other mommy."

carl sighs pinching her cheeks.

"she is somewhere else. between the stars. just look at the night sky and you'll find her everywhere. i told you before."

"is daddy there?" she asks. carl hesitates, looking at the window. it's a windy day.

"maybe. daddy is... let's say he is playing hide and seek."

"i don't want to play anymore. i want daddy home."

"i know, judy, but he can't stop playing now. or he'll lose it. be patient, he'll come back."

"like you came back?"

carl finally looks at her again, nodding. yes, like i did.

he takes judith in his arms to lull her. he's humming his favorite song, judith loves when he sings for her to fall asleep.

you are my sunshine
my only sunshine
you make me happy
when skies are grey

you'll never know, dear
how much i love you
so please don't take
my sunshine away

looking through the window open he wonders if ron is doing fine. he wish he could change things for him, to make it a little better. ron was a good person, he never deserved to be trapped in that chaotic family. but that's how things were, what could he do to change it?