Writer's Block

Before any of you ask, yes. I currently am going through something similar, since I know I want to get around to writing the world-building chapter, but I also know that I'm going to need a tremendous amount of time and effort to actually pull through with it.

So while I was trying to figure out what I should publish in the meantime, well, I hit a writer's roadblock essentially. 

Don't you worry, this isn't a rant-chapter where I do nothing but vent out to the reader, but also sharing experiences of mine that may possibly help any of you reading this out in some way. I hope. That's the plan, at least. 

I'm aware of how many pieces of generic, unhelpful, and typical advice exists out there. (e.g. don't lose focus, be in a good environment, etc.) because I'm sure you've heard that many many times before, so allow me to pump some fresh ideas into the mix here.

1. Find a habit of yours that you can link to writing, or gaining inspiration.

For instance, when I'm struggling with putting words down onto the page, I take a step back and take a shower. Being in the shower allows me to think and mull over my phrasing, selection of words, etc. and it basically boosts my writing by just that much.

As a result, whenever I'm trying to write a story, my family members will see me go in and out of the shower dozens of times by the end of the day.

It's something that's very specific to me, and it may not be the same for you, but I highly encourage finding some form of connection or link that isn't necessarily related to writing, that gives you energy to write.

For some, listening to music that suits the tone or atmosphere works the best for them. (Personally, I can't write at all with music.) 

For others, reading different books than what they're normally used to is their go-to method of gaining inspiration, which leads me to my second point:

2. Reading/Consuming media that you normally wouldn't consider.

This one I find to be extremely useful to get yourself out a funk. The reason why writing-blocks can be so easy to come across is because we've gotten too comfortable in our way of life. We stick too closely to our comfort zones and as a result, don't attempt to venture outwards.

Maybe you read too much of the same author, and need a change of pace. Maybe instead of watching Captain Marvel for inspiration, you should watch an older film like 1994's Shawshank Redemption, or the cult classic La Boum. 

Change up the pace that your brain is used to! Even for working out, physicians will tell you that your body will get used to the exercises you perform repeatedly, and as a result, makes those exercises even less effective, and won't stimulate properly.

Get your mind engaged in something completely different, and hopefully that shift in rhythm will give you the jump-start you need.

3. Exercises: Switch up the way you write.

Sometimes, the very way we write will affect how our story will turn out as a result. We try to write out everything in the most natural way possible, but in order to keep our brains engaged and constantly thinking on its feet, we need to spice things up a bit.

3.1

For instance, one thing that I really like to do is write out the narrative in a non-linear fashion. What does that mean? Basically: write the story out-of-order. 

I'll write the middle section first, the attempt to string it together with the introductory transition that leads to the build-up, for example. Write the ending first and the beginning last! Something like that.

What it does is that it makes me constantly think about editing and how the pieces will all fit together in the end. It's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle. You try to build all of the corners and then fill in whatever fits whenever you can.

It also makes editing a lot more intriguing than just proofreading or reformatting, since you will have to make the story feel like one cohesive piece instead of various fragments that have been stitched together.

Some people might find that difficult, but I personally find it to be a blast.

3.2 

Open a book, and flip to a random page. Close your eyes and move your finger anywhere you'd like and randomly select a word. Repeat this process multiple times until you deem fit. Now, try to attempt to make a sentence that would make sense in a narrative. 

This really forces your improvisational skills to shine through, and possibly even give you new ideas for character lines that would use words you normally wouldn't, or an entirely new character or story entirely.

3.3 

This next game is quite torturous, since it'll make you realize just how much you over-use certain words. Have fun~

Depending on what perspective you're using for your story (1st person, 3rd person omnipotent, 3rd person limited, etc.) certain words are banned when leading a sentence. Example:

Let's say I'm writing a first person story, so the word "I," is forbidden to be used in the very first half of the sentence. So sentences like 'I opened the door,' would be impossible. For third person, the character's names would be banned. 

This makes it so that your sentence structure will have more variance, and having more variance means that your audience has a smaller likelihood of getting bored and used to your writing style.

If you want to get particularly masochistic, prevent yourself from using the words "I," or your characters' names entirely.

Additionally, have someone else read a couple of your works (If you're comfortable enough) and ask the reader to point out which words and phrases you tend to utilize the most. And then ban those words the next time you attempt to put words down onto the page.

I'm pretty sure that more exist out there, but I wouldn't want to use recycled content. I'm relatively sure that you're all capable of looking them up for yourselves, so please, feel free to look up "writing exercises" whenever you need some mental stimulus in your writing!

Bonus: Try roleplaying! I know that a lot of people don't like the idea of roleplaying due to how the community that surrounds roleplaying tends to be like, especially here on wattpad, but I can personally attest to if you find the right people, you'll have the time of your life.

Roleplaying can inject completely new ideas into your head, and since it's a cooperative form of storytelling, their characters can react in ways that you wouldn't have imagined, or provide plot points and force you to come up with and improvise to make a narrative scenario interesting.

Okay, I think that'll do for now. Take care—!