Perspective

I'm sure that everyone has had the fundamental question of whether to write their story in first person, or third-person. But before we actually get deep into the discussion and examples of how perspective can enhance or potentially hold back your story, I'd like to get some things out of the way that I'd like to cover that can be used regardless of perspective.

Personally, I'd love to make a separate chapter for this, but its too short to actually warrant it to be separated. It still does have affect perspective somewhat, so in the end it's still relevant to the conversation.

Whenever you're writing something, try not to add on words that serve to dilute the following phrases. For example, what you would call the "suddenly," syndrome.

When you add in these words, you're effectively trying to alter the audience's perception of the events that follow, but by adding in those extra words, it dilutes the impact your phrase could've potentially had.

Instead of: "As I walked in, the dry, still air blew against my face." 

It should be: "The dry, still air blew against my face."

Sure, some could argue that the notion of the protagonist walking inside is lost, but there's no reason for the two events to be described in the exact same sentence. You could write about how the protagonist walks in before, or even after the air blows against their face.

Another thing I cannot say enough, is related to the use of "suddenly," or any other phrases that may serve a similar purpose. 

Adding things like that only give the reader ample time to actually process what's happening. When something shocking or 'sudden,' is happening, it's so much better to leave it as punchy, and non-descriptive.

For example, let me give three examples and tell me how each of them feel.

[Situation] "I hurriedly stuffed the stolen belongings away in my room, trying to hide any valuables and evidence that might cause people to suspect me—"

1. "The door opened suddenly."/"Suddenly, the door opened." (This counts as one, shush.)

2. "The door opened with a creak."

3. "The door opened."

The first one doesn't even feel all that sudden. The word itself actually dilutes the punch and impact of the sentence that followed. It comes off as weak and only holds back the scene.

The second one feels like the door opened slowly, and as a result it may ruin the scene if it's meant to be sudden, but does well to create tension or a dramatic reveal.

The third one is the punchiest. 

Because the line is so curt, yet concise, the audience has less room the process what's going on, so naturally, the scene would automatically seem sudden in their minds. Following the impact of the sentence, you can follow with descriptions such as "It slammed against the wall," or whatever you'd add in order to paint the picture you want.

Perspective alters how the audience will perceive the story, but so do the little things too.

Now, let's actually get into writing with different kinds of perspectives.