The Lost Man

The group had been turning in circles for the last half hour. Alexandra noticed before anyone else.

"I've seen that skeleton before; we're turning in circles," she said.

"Oh are we? Maybe it's a different skeleton!" Paul snapped.

"No, it's not. I've seen it three times now. Face it, we're lost."

"We're not going anywhere specific so we can't be lost."

"That's not what I meant. Howard got separated from the group."

"Did he? Well, too bad for him."

"Too bad for him? He could die out there! We have to look for him."

"No. If we happen to see him, he'll join. Otherwise, he finds his own way."

Alexandra thought of setting off by herself to find Howard, but she reasoned that this group didn't need two people lost in the desert. "Fine," she grumbled.

The group chose a different path, to avoid turning around again, and resumed the expedition. After fifteen minutes, they saw someone.

"Howard, is that you?" asked Alexandra.

"What?" a distant voice responded.

"It must be him," she told the others. "Who else would be lost in the desert?"

When the group got closer to him, they realized that this person was actually an old man, not Howard.

"Who are you?" Paul asked the old man.

"Me? I'm... gosh darn it, I don't remember," he answered. "Well, what to do? Oh, I know, I'll invent a new name. Let me see, a new name." He thought for a moment before giving Paul an answer. "I've got it! Call me Michael."

"Why are you here?"

"The SandWitch! That much I remember. I was attacked."

"You were attacked by a sandwich."

"Yes! But I mustn't divulge any secrets, unless I wish to die."

"So, if I understand correctly, you were attacked by a sandwich but you can't tell us about it because if you do, you die."

"Exactly!"

"Thank you for explaining. Please wait a moment while I discuss this with my companions."

"Of course."

"This man is clearly senile," Paul told the others. "He doesn't remember his own name and he claims to have been attacked by a sandwich!"

"Wait, so what do we call him?" asked Ralph, another member of the expedition.

"He invented a new name, Michael."

"OK."

"Anyway, he says that he can't reveal any specifics about the sandwich or he'll die."

"I'm sure he won't. I'll go ask him." Ralph then approached Michael and asked: "So this sandwich, what was it like?"

"I mustn't say."

"Do you really think the sandwich can kill you?"

"Maybe not at this distance. She probably doesn't even know I'm here."

"She?"

But Michael ignored him. "She was old, scary, and covered in sand."

"Ewww. Sounds disgusting."

"It was. And when I approached her, she— AAAAAAAHHHH!" Michael was explaining when suddenly he got pulled into the sand, never to be seen again.

 And when I approached her, she— AAAAAAAHHHH!" Michael was explaining when suddenly he got pulled into the sand, never to be seen again