Ch.1: Awaken Anew

"Again and again, it never ends... Please, I need you to do something... this village is the true secret. Testament to the old sins. It feeds this Hunter's nightmare... Please, bring an end to the horror. So our forefathers sinned? We hunters cannot bear their weight forever... it isn't fair... it just isn't fair."

These words kept going on and on in The Hunter Kaine's head ever since he slayed the Orphan of Kos and ended the Hunter's Nightmare. Even though these were his dying words, Simon was right. Hunters did not deserve the fates they have been given, to be constantly slaughtered by beasts, humans, and monsters of unknown origins all for a victory none of them could be granted.

His final mission was to meet Gehrman in the dream and decide what's next for this world. He had already gathered all of the umbilical cords that could make him a Great One, A God of unlimited potential that could finally put an end to this constant cycle but something was swaying him away from this decision.

He looked around the field they both stood in, examining the flowers and the seemingly endless and empty gray void that stood beyond the land. Gehrman had always called the Dream dreadful for many reasons but Kaine had found beauty and serenity here. He had the Doll to thank for this, she had always treated herself as a tool for hunters and nothing more but Kaine saw here as more human than anyone else for the way she treated him more like a person than a hunter.

Gehrman: "You've done well. The night is near it's end. Now I will show you mercy. You will die, forget the dream, and awake under the morning sun. You will be freed from this terrible Hunter's Dream."

Kaine didn't bother verbally answering Gehrman and just dropped to his knees with his back turned to him.

Gehrman: "Is this your decision? You have the choice to become a God, to finally put an end to this nightmare that has plagued this world for so long."

Kaine: "After being hurt by this world in every shape of way possible, I'll let it lead itself to damnation while I live on until death finally takes me for the last time."

Gehrman: "I see... Farewell, my keen hunter, fear the blood."

After a few moments of silence, Kaine felt the cold blade of Gehrman's scythe touch his neck, it was a swift death with little to no pain nor suffering, something he had never experienced since everything that could kill him did it as slowly and as painfully as possible.

He kept his conscious for a few seconds before everything went completely black. Gehrman just stood there staring at the young boy's lifeless body and reviewing the whole scene.

Gehrman: "A selfish decision... But one many hunters have made, Even I wish I could have made the same one after years of being trapped here for my decision but... I hoped he could be the one to truly save everyone."

He sat back down into his wheelchair and rolled out to the Hunter's Workshop to wait for the next hunter, but before he went inside he noticed that the Doll was nowhere to be seen.

Gehrman: "This is... Curious. That object and I are supposed to bound to this dream together to never escape and yet it has seemed to disappear. Could it have something to do with the Hunter's decision?"

Gehrman questioned the connection between Kaine's execution and The Doll's disappearance for a while before eventually shrugging it off and entering the workshop to prepare.

Gehrman: "It doesn't matter. I never truly held feelings for The Doll, it was just my failed replacement of my Dear Maria. Although, the next hunter will never truly make progress in the waking world without The Doll to bring out their inner strength."

Meanwhile, Kaine had opened his eyes to reveal he was stuck floating in a black void with seemingly nothing in it. He started to ball his hands into fists and grind his teeth, He let out a small growl that sounded more like a wolf than a man.